BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I have just acquired another handbrake handle mechanism as the handle on mine is extremely tatty and is the last thing in the cabin that I need to replace to get it looking like new. I've read about the nightmare that is trying to remove just the handle so I thought I would replace the whole lot. Now, what are the steps I need to take in order to replace it? I'm sure I read a post about it on here at some point but I can't seem to find it.

Is it a case of just removing the centre console trim and unscrewing some bolts or do I have to correctly tension the cable etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Vin

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The handbrake handle mechanism is held in place by three bolts. It's easiest to access them with the centre console removed but it can be done by removing the storage tray (under sliding armrest) and the handbrake adjustment access panel on the side of the centre console.

I'd go down the route of removing the centre console as it won't take much longer and be considerably easier to do the work. I did actually change mine without removing it, but I'm sure I didn't save much time and I had the added frustrations etc.

You will need to re-adjust the handbrake cables but this isn't a big job anyway.

Some say that the handbrake handle trim can be removed but I've tried quite hard without success with my old mechanism. If it could be removed easily, it would save a lot of bother.

I hope you get it sorted in no time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

You will need to re-adjust the handbrake cables but this isn't a big job anyway.
Would you care to elaborate? :tonquesmilie:

Cheers
Vin

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
IIRC you need to have the rear of the car up in the air (both sides due to the LSD).
You can adjust the handbrake shoes (remove one wheel bolt and turn the adjuster until the wheel won't move, then back up 12 teeth on the adjuster, adjuster and bolt hole should be at the 6o'clock position, use a little light to 'sight' them). Incidentally, handbrake cables should be slack when adjusting the wheel adjuster. Do this for both sides.

Then you raise the handbrake lever two clicks and adjust the cable tension such that the wheel is just about locked (difficult to turn). Again, do this for both sides. Remember to refit the locknut on the cable afterwards.

Basically, adjust the drums then the cables. Some will probably suggest a different number of teeth backed up and various methods of setting it all up. This is the 'factory' method but don't expect miracles, the handbrake is pretty hopeless!

I've found that the LSD is a bit of a pain in this regard, there's only a tiny amount of free play between the wheels making it difficult to know if a wheel is held by it's brake or if it's held by the opposite side's brake! Be prepared to fiddle a bit.

HTH.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Managed to get everything off apart from the third bolt at the rear of the handle. It's really hard to get a spanner on it. I need to enlist an extra pair of hands before I continue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts