BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to be a Homer Simpson "doh!" trick to this....how the heck do you get these off?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
For shift knob, you grasp cuplike with both hands and pull sharply upwards. Don't hit yourself in the face or whack the mirror, as it's a press fit and when it lets go, it does so suddenly. Can't help you on the handbrake.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
the handbrake is pressed on also, and doesn not come off easily. I grabbed mine with a pair of channel lock pliers and twisted it loose, then slid it off. (i.e. i broke it off) Mine was an '00 with a beat up, peeled off fake chrome plastic handbrake handle, so it was going to the garbage anyway.
Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am replacing both, so I guess its time to break out the Dremel...

mottati said:
the handbrake is pressed on also, and doesn not come off easily. I grabbed mine with a pair of channel lock pliers and twisted it loose, then slid it off. (i.e. i broke it off) Mine was an '00 with a beat up, peeled off fake chrome plastic handbrake handle, so it was going to the garbage anyway.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
akiramats1 said:
I thought that the shift knob and e-brake only could be cut off. Good thing i didnt make the change yet. I will see if I have any luck yanking it off.
shift knob definately pops off like need4speed described. I'd bet if you were patient and worked some lubricant into the handbrake you might be able to work it off in one piece, but it's certainly faster to do it the 'manly way'.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not going to keep it, so cutting it off is the plan.

mottati said:
shift knob definately pops off like need4speed described. I'd bet if you were patient and worked some lubricant into the handbrake you might be able to work it off in one piece, but it's certainly faster to do it the 'manly way'.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Chart505 said:
Im not going to keep it, so cutting it off is the plan.
You may want to consider giving it another try, as you would get some $$$ for it on ebay. However, the chance of personal injury may very well be worth cutting it off. I removed them on a 540i not too long ago, and with some persistence, I was able to remove both.

Also, make sure that you disconnect the wire which lights the shift knob before pulling. You wouldn't want to pull the wire out! :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I took mine off a month ago, you pull back the leather boot from where it connects by the arm rest, just pops out much like the shift boot, then you cut the zip tie and remove the boot, then just start twisting and pulling the handle off of the ebrake assembly, it was tough but I got mine off without the use of tools and without damaging anything so it can be done, I put on one of UUC billet handles, hope this helps, Josh

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everybody's shamed me into shevling the Dremel and trying to yank 'em off- I will give it a try, I guess if I can get a couple bucks for them on Ebay why not :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.