BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanna remove the "M"badge on the rear and leave the 5 , goo gone a heat gun and dental floss? its kinda faded and I think the 5 there by itself would be kinda cool......

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wanna remove the "M"badge on the rear and leave the 5 , goo gone a heat gun and dental floss? its kinda faded and I think the 5 there by itself would be kinda cool......
Be very careful using goo gone with the heat gun, I have seen folks remove the clear coat as well. I would use an adhesive removal disc to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I used dental floss and goo be gone.....did not need a heat gun though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
?????? Sounds like a terrible idea.
but don't you know? that's the point of buying these cars, to debadge em.

I agree with Smeagol. (at least I think we are referring to the same thing - see below)

With all due respect, and for the life of me, I simply cannot understand why any M5 owner would want to remove any portion of the of the ///M5 badging on their vehicle(s). Due to its rarity, people are curious about the M5, and I am happy to tell/show them what the car is about. If the badging was not present, I'm sure I would get a lot of, "Hey, that's a really nice BMW" but that is about it. I love my OEM badges and they are here to stay. I'm not adding any badges or taking any away - just my personal preference. On a side note, I do really like some of the custom badging out there (e.g. especially the carbon fiber roundels and German flag M5 Badges).

With that said, in the event I change my mind on the above, now I know how to safely and effectively remove the M5 deck lid badge, or parts thereof.

Thanks for allowing me to comment.

Best, :cheers:<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Awful idea. Either you leave the badge alone or you go all the way and debadge the whole thing. I debadged my old car with dental floss and carefully worked my way around each letter. I used my wife's hair dryer to warm up the glue under the badge little bit and the rest was easy to take off with dental floss.

Once you are done though, you must wax the whole area right away or the print of the where the badge used to be will still be visible on the car and much worse if car is dark color. Once you wax properly, it should look like the car came like that debadged.

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
I'm with Java on this... Full badge or no badge... but still look forward to the pic to see how it turns out. I think we have too many OEM badges and don't care if people know it's an M so am interested to see how folks are tweaking their badging. This will be a cool option. I like too the custom side vent badging.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Awesome! I'd remove the BMW roundels also! Can't wait to see pics!

<sarcasm off>

Reactions: umichchris

·
Registered
242 Posts
why debadge the //M5???

anyways, the cleanest way you could possibly do this is to buy sticker/adhesive remover (comes in a spray can, made by that green turtle wax company) from advanced auto parts and the "blue shop towels" they stock.
You can use floss to remove the badges but on my past cars I have removed it by just pulling and tugging on the badge in EVERY direction with the adhesive sprayed onto it and it will eventually come off from an angle. After badge removed, you want to keep spraying this area and wiping it off with the shop towels, this will take lots of tries but eventually will get everything off, may take couple days of doing it. Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm with Java on this... Full badge or no badge... but still look forward to the pic to see how it turns out. I think we have too many OEM badges and don't care if people know it's an M so am interested to see how folks are tweaking their badging. This will be a cool option. I like too the custom side vent badging.
Yea IDC who thinks or knows what, ik its an M5 the "M" is faded anyway and the 5 alone is IMO cooler, and after all it is "MY CAR"

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yea IDC who thinks or knows what, ik its an M5 the "M" is faded anyway and the 5 alone is IMO cooler, and after all it is "MY CAR"
Put some "V10" badges on it; +25whp minimum!

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I think the OP really just wanted to see if he was using the right items to remove the badge not what would look good or bad :dunno:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The 5 is cooler? /snickers/ Ok dude.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think the OP really just wanted to see if he was using the right items to remove the badge not what would look good or bad :dunno:
i think he was also kinda looking for help/opinions on removing the M and just leaving the 5 there, which i gladly gave him

1 - 20 of 36 Posts