BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Can I simply take this thing completely away from the engine bay without causing any trouble with DME? Does DME need some signal from this one to operate correctly? I don´t need any speed limiter things in my car anyway. I have allready made it non functional by loosening the cable that the electric motor pulls. Anyone done this before? Where is the cutoff speed control unit? The actuator is quite low in the LH side inner fender.

Thanks in advice!

Best Regards, Janne.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi Janne,

When I had the carbon fiber airbox fitted, the speed limited was disconnected, but remains inside the engine bay still.

I drove 276kph (171mph) when i ran out of balls, the car still had some room to golovelove

the E92 335i driver in my rearview was a bit suprised i'm sure:hihi:

·
Registered
215 Posts
hmmmmm-my old silver 3.8 had the limiter disconnected, I remember it well, driving 175ish, driving beautifully and as solid as a rock and scaring the crap out of many people, then I slowed down and she started coughing & spluttering, turned out she blew a piston as i didnt realise how critical it was to sort the valve clearances.

If you will disconnect the limiter please please please learn from my mistakes and check your valve clearances.

yours nostalgically.

Paul

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valve clearances are adjusted 3500 km ago. Have any of You removed the complete speed control and actuator-thing from engine bay? Or am I the first who do this?

Some pioneer work then :hihi:.

Best Regards, Janne.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Do you need to remove the limiter for the Finnish roads or are you planning an Autobahn trip?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lantz

I don´t need to remove it for getting past 250 km/h. Have You ever been in Finland? Our roads are in so bad condition that it wouldn´t be enjoyable to drive any faster. Good for BMW. They can sell more of those damn expensive EDC dampers here for all people who don´t know about that EDC service thing in England :hihi:. Our maximum speed limit here is 120 km/h. No, I wan´t to remove only unnessessary things from the engine bay. Only small weight reduction is my point. But only 1,5 kg... Big weight reduction is done by taking one piece there and another here. When the removable unnessessary heavy things end, You have to look for the lighter unnessessary things.

Best Regards, Janne.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Speed control actuator and cable now removed

Speed control actuator and cable removed from the engine bay and the car runs perfectly without them :M5thumbs:. I don´t know where the electric control unit for this one is, so I didn´t remove it yet. I think it´s propably in the fusebox, because the wire is going in that direction, but I´m not sure. Does anyone know it´s location?

I checked my ignition coils and finded out that coils in number 4, 5 and 6 cylinder have all one small crack in the insulation. They are exposed to more heat than the front cylinders (1, 2 and 3) ignition coils. It´s easy to understand why there is more heat in the rear cylinders because of the inline 6 structure. This must be the reason for slight vibration at idle. The exhaust emissions was just checked and all was good except HC was a bit high at idle. When driving the car there aren´t any running problems though. It´s time to buy new ignition coils and those rubber boots below them to all cylinders at time. Quite expensive, but I think it´s better to buy them all and have long troublefree period from ignition problems. Except changing sparkplugs regularly, but it´s maintenance. I have original MAF and the fuel consuption is ok. The hotwire is cleaned up regularly.

Best Regards, Janne.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks for lettings know. I took the intake plenum off today and was wondering if I could remove these unnecessary parts to simplify the engine bay.

Trevor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts