BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 M5 that I will be installing Orion V4 angel eyes and high beam projectors into. I've only ever seen people cutting the lenses to remove them. Has anyone actually removed by heating them? I tried low temperature (200 F) in the oven and it failed horribly.. just softened the glue a bit, but could I'm thinking about rigging up a fixture and using a heat gun while applying constant pressure in a small area to get it started. Is it futile to even bother going down this route? I would appreciate anyone's experience.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I know that there is a shop in NJ that had successfully remove the lens without cutting them. I saw that they had a set of LCI headlights with Orion V4 for sale on Ebay a while back. Don't remember the name. All the members on here including myself had to cut it off with a dremel. GL

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll have to do some experimenting... I'll document and start a new thread with details if successful. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I know that there is a shop in NJ that had successfully remove the lens without cutting them. I saw that they had a set of LCI headlights with Orion V4 for sale on Ebay a while back. Don't remember the name. All the members on here including myself had to cut it off with a dremel. GL
Was it Lightwerkz? I heard about that too pretty sure it's them. They're a member on the E39 M5 section and do excellent work. They did my E46 TFX projector retrofit and I was extremely happy with the results. If I were to redo my lights for my M5 again I would have sent it to them to avoid the cutting of the lights. It just looks cleaner overall.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
To install the Orion v2/4, 99.99% of installers are cutting them open with a dremel. Personally I think it's worth the experiment and if you're careful and not rushing, the end result is well worth it. I've sene Orions in person and the light output compared to any bulb upgrade, is amazing!

Dan

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think you can purchase new lenses for this model now. Ideally you would want to follow the recent DIY on here regarding the "unbakable" E39 headlights, do the modifications you want, and reinstall a brand new lens.

Removing the lens without cutting is a serious risk. Its not something I would ever get into again, but it was possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts