BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was never a big fan of the music phone cradle that came in my M6. It takes up way too much console space and has minimal benefit (charging, phone reception) over the USB cable. So, rather than wait for BMW to create the iPhone 6 cradle insert, I'd like to pull the entire mechanism out and just use the USb cable. Has anyone undertook the task in this type of console arrangement? I've scoured the web and can't find an example relevant to our model. The shop pointed to the dealership as apparently the connections tie into the computer, but I'm not sure they have a clue.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I have a 2012 X5 with CIC, which should be quite similar to the CIC in your 2010 M6.
Removing the cradle required extensive dis-assembly of the console, but there were connectors (2 coax and a multi-pin) located within the console. Once the cradle was disconnected, no recoding or configuration was needed. The CIC works fine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That's good news regarding the no need for reconfig on the computer. I suppose now I need to find a assembly diagram doc for my particular console. If I can find the doc that illustrates how the console goes together, I have the right tools to do the job without damaging the interior. Naturally, if I do, I'll take pics during the process so the info can help others as time goes by.

Mine is a 2010 with 35k. I started thinking of trading it but realized it would serve no logocal purpose. I wanted a comfortable GT car with power, class and exclusivity. Others are faster, but it's a GT with over 500hp and a screaming V10. How fast do you want to go in a GT before you need to buy a less comfortable two seater to achieve your goal? I thought of trading it in on a new M6, but like the looks and motor of the E63 better. So, I've been here for a while now and am now tweaking the car (like this console work) to be around much longer.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
...I suppose now I need to find a assembly diagram doc for my particular console. If I can find the doc that illustrates how the console goes together, I have the right tools to do the job without damaging the interior. Naturally, if I do, I'll take pics during the process so the info can help others as time goes by...
Attached are a few BMW-TIS documents related to the console (just what I had handy) :byee55amg

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts