BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remote key will not function well unless I hold it close to the rear windshield (antenna location?) when pressing the buttons. So the remote lock/unlock/trunk-opener features won't work unless close to the antenna. It cranks the car just fine.

Dealer wants $500 to repair it ("bad antenna")...any suggestions?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Remote key will not function well unless I hold it close to the rear windshield (antenna location?) when pressing the buttons. So the remote lock/unlock/trunk-opener features won't work unless close to the antenna. It cranks the car just fine.

Dealer wants $500 to repair it ("bad antenna")...any suggestions?
negotiate to $450 ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the question is;
Does anyone know the part# and whether it is an easy DIY or does key need to be reprogrammed by Dealer.

Those are pretty much the only choices I ever see on the Board when it comes to repairs; 1) Dearler ($$), or 2) Do-It-Your-Own-Way.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Did you try replacing the battery? Could be a quick and cheap fix.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bad Key

I have a 2006 M5. The key for that year and maybe other years does not have a replacable battery. I had and have the same problem. Under waranty they replace the key, and every thing appeared to be fine for about a year. Then I noticed that I had to start getting closer and closer to the car again. Now, not being under waranty they want $500 for the new key. My thought is that either the key charging circuit in the car is not keeping the key charge properly or the battery they use in the key will not take repeated charging. In either event, I think BMW has a problem they will not admit to. I believe their assumption is that if you can afford an M5 you can afford to buy a $500 key every few years. Maybe if enough people *****ed about it they would do something. I know they did with the pixel problems in the 840's when they were nearly 10 years out of warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Legend; that is interesting and I had not thought of key-battery drain.

When the problem occurred I tested both keys and both were equally poor so I'm leaning toward 'something-other-than-key' as the problem. The dealer feels it is a faulty reception antenna; ie the antenna receiving the key's signals has gone bad. To prove it, they had me aim the key toward the lower-center of the rear windshield (antenna located in the roof of the trunk), and that DOES improve the key functionality.

Dealer cost for antenna, installed; $500. Therefore I'm searching to see if we can find the part and install it without any kind of 'only-the-dealer-can-do-it' key reprogramming.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spino; did you have similar reception problems that we are describing? I wonder if both my keys need batteries simultaneously?!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Someone who knows more than I can confirm this, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Comfort Access keys are the only keys with a replaceable battery because they don't charge. The standard keys are rechargable.

I've replaced batteries in my CA keys, but since they were CA I don't often lock/unlock the car remotely and can't tell you if I experienced diminished range when the battery was low. As an aside, the only way I knew the battery was low was that I got a message via the dash display.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Someone who knows more than I can confirm this, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Comfort Access keys are the only keys with a replaceable battery because they don't charge. The standard keys are rechargable.

I've replaced batteries in my CA keys, but since they were CA I don't often lock/unlock the car remotely and can't tell you if I experienced diminished range when the battery was low. As an aside, the only way I knew the battery was low was that I got a message via the dash display.

I believe this is the case. I am fairly certain that there is no rechargeable battery in the CA key. Even if it is rechargeable, it is possible that the battery ois no longer holding a charge well. In any event, I would certainly look at this low cost solution first. Whenever we have rookies in the Fire Department, the hardest thing to teach them is to check to see if the front door is unlocked before you go breaking in windows or using forceably entry at the door.

·
Registered
87 Posts
All I can said is my keys never works, I have to get realy close to the car to be able to unlock the drivers door. I think one of the reasons is the window tint, but I am not goin't to take the tint off. just my opinion!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts