BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this listing on eBay for remanufactured secondary air pumps with 2yr warranty for $140 + $10 shipping.
BMW Rebuilt Air Smog Pump 540I 540 I M5 1999 - 2003 - eBay (item 130489161927 end time Mar-22-11 10:12:10 PDT)

I will be buying one since mine has just gotten insanely loud.. :mad:

From the listing: BMW Air - smog pump rebuilt. We replace the main bearing, inspect and lubricate the rest of the parts and bench test it for 10 minutes. 2 year warranty on the repair. Your old pump is required for a core, a Fedex return label is provided for free return shipping of your old pump. Air pump check valve should also be replaced, they are ava. here on ebay, if your pump is noisy or full of water and quit working this is your answer and will fix your problems. Call Brian with any questions 301-367-2244

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just have a question about that...is it really necessary to replace one that makes a loud noise? I know it's annoying, but does it really have an adverse effect on anything? Reason why I ask is mine sounds like a jet on a cold start up...but really isn't a big deal to me. Any information would be much appreciated!

Ryan

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just have a question about that...is it really necessary to replace one that makes a loud noise? I know it's annoying, but does it really have an adverse effect on anything? Reason why I ask is mine sounds like a jet on a cold start up...but really isn't a big deal to me. Any information would be much appreciated!

Ryan
Pump performance likely does not decrease very much, but it is a sign of bearing wear and eventual failure. Mine used to sound like a jet engine, but lately has taken it to the next level. It will startle people that are anywhere near my car on a cold start.

If you're okay with the noise then no problem. Even if the pump stopped working you won't lose any engine performance, just worse emissions on cold starts and a fault code.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Pump performance likely does not decrease very much, but it is a sign of bearing wear and eventual failure. Mine used to sound like a jet engine, but lately has taken it to the next level. It will startle people that are anywhere near my car on a cold start.

If you're okay with the noise then no problem. Even if the pump stopped working you won't lose any engine performance, just worse emissions on cold starts and a fault code.
Alright, that's what I was expecting. Maybe if mine gets to that point I may think about getting a new one...maybe. But thanks for the reply! Another thread that's put in my favorites if I need it...:biggrinbounce:

Ryan

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Alright, that's what I was expecting. Maybe if mine gets to that point I may think about getting a new one...maybe. But thanks for the reply! Another thread that's put in my favorites if I need it...:biggrinbounce:

Ryan
And FYI, AutohausAZ has the pump brand new for $287 with free shipping. BMW Part No. 11721433958

Reactions: BMVVette

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hey Drew, you should have bought mine when it was for sale;)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Drew, you should have bought mine when it was for sale;)
Hindsight is 20/20. At least I'll have a basically new pump with 2yr warranty.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. My pump was squealing like a pig for a while after I installed my cai, but after sitting for the winter, has decided to act normal again...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My pump has been replaced and it is wonderfully quiet. Makes such a difference. I recommend this service if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm starting to get that jet engine noise from my secondary air pump too. How hard of a do it yourself (DIY) job is this? Couldn't find any DIY secondary air pump replacements with pictures in my search.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't do it myself but it looks very simple. Just remove the wheel and wheel-well liner. Then undo the bracket, disconnect the power connector and the hose. This is what it looks like you do at least, maybe others can give more detail.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can i ask why you repair something what is completly useless?
Absolutely. Because it is the ^%@#$ most annoying thing in the world. People would jump scared when I started my car. Now it is perfectly quiet. It had nothing to do with the function of the pump, just the sound. Plain and simple.

I'd gladly get rid of the thing if I didn't have to pass inspection. Maybe it's time to move to SC. :3:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Absolutely. Because it is the ^%@#$ most annoying thing in the world. People would jump scared when I started my car. Now it is perfectly quiet. It had nothing to do with the function of the pump, just the sound. Plain and simple.

I'd gladly get rid of the thing if I didn't have to pass inspection. Maybe it's time to move to SC. :3:
And how is that pump makes difference in inspection? ??????

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I did not purchase a reman unit, I went with a new pump.

I just replaced it this afternoon and it is not too hard. Sorry I did not take any pictures.

My car also has a Dinan cold air intake so the pump is mounted upside down. I would say it probably took me about 1 hour, but I was doing other things as well so my entire time was longer.

You need to pull the inner fender well, front lower fender well/bottom cover, unplug the outside air temp pickup and then the air pump is only 3 bolts, 1 wire connector and the hardest part is disconnecting the air pump output hose. Make sure when you reinstall the air pump hose you hear the latch "click". It took me a few attempts to get my airpump hose to click, but because of the Dinan cold air intake, it made it a bit tougher.

All in all, you have to pull out about 25 bolts, most are 8mm and a few are 10mm.

You probably to not need to fully pull the inner fender well liner out as there are 3 non reuseable rivets in the rear that you will need to replace. My rivets were already missing, so this was no big deal. I did not even remove the wheel, just turned it hard left. I did jack up the car to just get the wheel off the ground to give myself a bit more clearance.

Let me tell you, the new pump is QUIET as compared to what I was living with. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner 2 rooms away with the door closed or maybe quieter. Because my pump is mounted upside down, I drilled a bunch of 1/8" holes in what is now the lower edge of the air pump inlet filter cover to let any water drain out that may end up inside the filter cover.

I also modified the front lower fender well liner to allow air for the brakes. Now I need to do the other side and check out the grille mod.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
And how is that pump makes difference in inspection? ??????

Not in canada either but the Americans have to, not only pass a gas test, but the Americans have there DME inspected and the DME being OBD compliant does tests on the emission systems while the car is driven. In Canada, Finland and many other places we only have a gas test. No big deal but the Americans basically have an emission inspector on board for several hundred miles or the length of time it takes the DME to clear the P1000 inquiry. The SAI system is part of that testing. It may mean no driving the M5 cause no pass = no plates.

Besides it is not totally useless system it warms the cats faster which warms the engine faster. The faster the engine gets to operating temp. and design specs the faster it stops wearing. To bat around a saying I am not sure I believe. 50% of all engine wear occurs during warmup.

For me it will be software and removal of the system, but it is not required in Canada.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Just found this listing on eBay for remanufactured secondary air pumps with 2yr warranty for $140 + $10 shipping.
BMW Rebuilt Air Smog Pump 540I 540 I M5 1999 - 2003 - eBay (item 130489161927 end time Mar-22-11 10:12:10 PDT)

I will be buying one since mine has just gotten insanely loud.. :mad:

From the listing: BMW Air - smog pump rebuilt. We replace the main bearing, inspect and lubricate the rest of the parts and bench test it for 10 minutes. 2 year warranty on the repair. Your old pump is required for a core, a Fedex return label is provided for free return shipping of your old pump. Air pump check valve should also be replaced, they are ava. here on ebay, if your pump is noisy or full of water and quit working this is your answer and will fix your problems. Call Brian with any questions 301-367-2244
Yeah I thought mine was going bad. . But ended up that the hose came off after changing the radiator. No more loud noices

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts