BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my vanos "fix" performed and the dealer had to reload the stock software thereby deleting my dinan software upgrade. I am debating whether I should go to the other dealership that is dinan authorized (Performance in chapel Hill) and get the dinan software reloaded. To be perfectly honest I really can't tell a difference between having and not having the dinan software (a really big waste of $). I don't have a dinan exhaust or CAI and generally do not go over 155 (or whatever the limit is).

Any thoughts or opinions on whether I should take the time to have the dinan software reloaded?

Thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
Steve,

The biggest thing it did for me was tighten up the slack on the annoying electronic throttle-by-wire or whatever the heck it's called. I could really tell a difference. I agree with you, removing the limiter is not something I'll be testing anytime soon.

You already paid for it and shouldn't have to again. I'd go ahead and do it.

Regards,

DWP

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
well, if you got the software once, I think they will reinstall it for you for free... so why not just put it on again? Even though the difference is minimal.... at least you know that your car is capable of going more than 155mph.. it would be really bad if that one time you need your car going faster than that comes, and you hit the speed limiter.... :p

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
I agree with Dave and Terence...you should go ahead and get your Dinan software reinstalled. You did pay for it after all and you could always use those extra 300 rpms should you ever accidentally/purposefully redline your M5.

Just curious why would they even have to reinstall the original software in the first place when they did the "vanos" fix anyways?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hiya Steve,

How could you tell the Dinan software was deleted, if you couldn't tell the difference? :confused:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Maybe it's because it still hasn't been that long since I had all my dinan stuff put on, but I can easily tell the difference before and after the dinan software.

not with thrust or acceleration or anything that obvious of course, since that's not what the sw does.

my understanding is that the chip does:
a) remove top speed limiter (by far the lowest consideration and undoubtedly least used feature)
b) raise the top end of the rev limiter by 300
c) re-map the computer controlled drive by wire throttle control in both non-sport and sport mode to a slightly more aggressive mode in each

the one that i can most easily "feel" is the different in revs at certain speeds at each gear. before dinan software, my revs in each gear were slightly lower at any given speed. after dinan software, the revs are definitely higher.

this is in fact what i use to figure out if my dinan software is still there whenever my car went into a dealer because i'm always paranoid they're going to for some insane reason re-program my ecu without telling me (which i have had happen on my m3 in the past, so while it's paranoia, it's justified paranoia).

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of you raise some very good points. I really have not be able to push my car since I got it back yesterday it's been raining. I will pay attention and make a determination, but you're right I've already paid for it so I should go ahead and get it reinstalled.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts