BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Where are you headed?

• 1. New Stock car, Regularly.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 2. More expensive, Modded Less Regularly.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 3. All out in one Project to end the madness, or begin it.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is preferable, and how long does it take for you to change ?

I have a neighbour that buys The same car every Two years. Its a Holden SS Commodore. LS1 They are almost $50K AUD.

He upgrades every two years without fail. Its like an American buying a Vette, every two years.

He doesn't Mod them. Once he even bought almost the same colour three in a row. (Green).

The thing is, he can afford a much more expensive car if he choose to. But the thing is, It has become him. When ever I think John, I think Green SS Commodore.

He looks after them. He carries the same number plate. He has done this for the last ten years I have known him.

Most times the shape doesn't change much at all.

Its kinda cool.....almost reliable.

Then I see the gys that buy a way more expensive car and have it 4-5 years. Some Mod, some don't. But it doesn't become them, especially when they buy something totally different next.

Then you finally get to the guys that have come to an understanding of this process. They Go ALL out on vehicle that Becomes them. It is the mechanical equivalent of themselves. Need an example? Think Triflow. :M5thumbs:

In the end, weather you do 1. 2. or 3. I think it all balances out to the same coin. Over say a 15 Year period.

So its not about the money. But is it a Progression of thought?

Is it an evolvement where everyone eventually goes through the steps?

Is building your ULTIMATE Machine a way to put an end to all the mechanical madness? If you went ALL OUT. Spared no expensive....and put everything on it you WANTED and Desired, How long would it Quench your thirst for? A few years or forever?

Just a few things to think about.

Where are You?

MJ.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I usually have a couple of cars at a time, some modded some not. What happens to me anyway is that in the course of owning and maintaining my cars I am faced with the notion that instead of repairing a perceived defect with stock parts I might be able to improve the vehicle by going aftermarket. A lot of my "perceived defects" are things like: I prefer a more precise shifter than stock, or would prefer less body roll during cornering or want a more aural driving experience, or the car is just too dang slow, or something is just plain broken.

I curently have:
2002 330i, not stock
2001 Ford F250, not stock
2000 M5, just bought it but have "repaired some defects" already
1995 M3, a long way from stock
2003 Rice brand Split bed trailer

I don't think I'd be entertained enough by having just one vehicle; I really enjoy the process of maintaining them and there isn't enough maintenance required by having one new car.
Regards

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I seem to get the best car I like in the price range I can afford at the time and trade every 3 years to get a newer better version of the same. I always try to step up, it is so difficult to step backwards. I have had:
85 Daytona Turbo (first new car),
87 Daytona Shelby Z (even more power),
90 TBird SC (great car but un-reliable),
91 Mitsu 3000GT VR-4 (best handling car wet or dry I've ever owned),
95 Mitsu 3000GT VR-4 (even more goodies & power but somehow lesser handling),
99 BMW 540i sport steptronic (performance with comfort)
02 M5 (greatest sports sedan ever?)

Every car since the 91 Mitsu has been a lease.
I can't decide what's next so I've financed the residual on the M5.
I'm leaning towards the M6 but who knows what will be available by the time the M6 hits the US market.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm a stock kinda guy...and I buy all my cars...I have never leased a car.

1971 Fiat Spider convertible (wrecked)
1981 Datsun pickup (drove into the ground - sold for $500 in 1994)
1994 Land Rover Defender 90 (still own)
2000 Cadillac Escalade (traded in with 91,000 miles for the 2004 Escalade ESV)
2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV (still own)
2003 BMW M5 (still own)

SCORPIO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts