BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Another king with a great taste :)
Ex-King Leopold III of Belgium got the delivery of his Ferrari 342 America Cabriolet personally from Marenello and drove it back to home in May 1953. He had ordered an altimeter to put on the car for Alpine crossing :eek: (you can see it on the glove compartment. It's the round black dial to the right of the iginition)

Here is a full article: Velocetoday Article

What a beauty!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice Photo

Dirim,

Thanks for sharing that with us. That is a really nice motor, and the article was pretty good too. That car is 50 years old, and it looks like it came out of a box yesterday. Ohhhhh to be the king, or a t least the owner of a major corperation. :hihi:

james

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Confirmed!

Gustav said:
So it happened :thumbsup:

Was on my way to work in my M3 when I spotted an LeMans Blue M5 with a Säpo (Guards the Royal family among others) just behind it going on Norr mälarstrand. So I was thinking "Hmm, weird how can that M5 driver drive so fast with this Säpo car just behind him, isn't he annoyed?" I don't think Säpo are allowed to take your license but it you just don't do that.

But when I thought about it more I of course came to the conclusion it must be the King! Because it's the way from Drottningholm to the Castle in the city. So I went after him jsu to make sure. You, when passing him because he got stuck in traffic it was indeed the King. LeMans Blue M5 E39 model year 2000 with black exclusive interiour. And 17 inch wonter wheels.

And a funny thing: some kind of royal emblem or crown in the right part of the kidney in the front of the car kinggf so that is a easy way to spot him if you don't spot the dark blue Volvo 850 Turbo with extar lights in the back bumper and extra mirrors on the A pillar.

Next goal: Get him to race :haha2: :viking:

I also met him, but this time at söder mälarstrand. Must have been 2yrs ago. Also a lemans blue M5

·
Registered
103 Posts
King in St Tropez, buying Ferraris (LONG)

kinggf
This thread reminded me that a guy I met in the South of France told me a story.

He was working as a salesman for the Cavallari Garage, importer of Ferraris in Monte Carlo, when he got a phone call in English from a very polite gentleman, asking him if he could drive up to St Tropez (very trandy in the summer, nice cars, big yachts, the rich and famous hang out there. It is about 68m/110km away from Monaco) to discuss the sales of 2 new Ferraris.

You know the salespeople; selling a new Ferrari is already cool (even in Monte Carlo) but 2 !!

He asked his name and the person said "call me Carl" and said his was aboard his Yacht in the Port of St Tropez gave his mobile numer, set up appointement.

The guy dressed up (big client !) hit the road -in the summer it is really hot and traffic can take about 2 1/2 to 4 hours to drive there ! - got to the yacht met the (apparent) owner: "hi, I'am Carl he said, offered him a drink and they started to do their business on a first name basis as Carl has asked him to.

At one point some kind of assistant discreetly came to Carl as he had a phone call or something important to attend to. He excused himself, and the salesman started to feel really uncomfortable as he kind of noticed some royal manners (something sounding like "your highness" in the assistant's way of interrupting Carl.

He approached that man who stayed near the salesman (you don't leave guests alone) and asked him "I feel akward (sp?), is this person someone I should know about?

The assistant told him that he was the king of Sweden !!! The salesman told me he had never felt so much like an idiot in his entire life!!

The king returned and the salesman apologised to him saying he didn't know who he was, but the king told him "we started on a first name basis, let's continue that way".

I think he ordered the 2 cars anyway.

Maybe some members from Sweden could tell us if their king could be doing such a thing and if he is that much of a car fanatic.

Hi to you all, special thoughts to Gustav in NY, have fun with East Coast members meeting you.

Great sunny day -chilly- from Paris, Fr

:byebye:

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
Wow - very cool story! :thumbsup:

That sounds like something the Swedish king could do alright. And yes - he is crazy about cars. kinggf

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Yes he is crazy about cars! Just check the link above from Hans Stuck :biggrin:

The Kings is a total car nut and to date have had 4 M5s incl. the E28. Also an M635CSi which I've seen him in when I was a kid.

Im at Times Square now, better go out and check NYC :cheers:

Kalbas, very cool story! :cheers:

Did you read the other story when I spoke to him? :confused2

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Gustav,

No I don't remember reading it. I will do it tomorrow morning.

Enjoy NY, don't eat too much though !

A lot of fancy restaurants out there !!

See you

Kalbas

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Bump kinggf

kinggf
This thread reminded me that a guy I met in the South of France told me a story.

He was working as a salesman for the Cavallari Garage, importer of Ferraris in Monte Carlo, when he got a phone call in English from a very polite gentleman, asking him if he could drive up to St Tropez (very trandy in the summer, nice cars, big yachts, the rich and famous hang out there. It is about 68m/110km away from Monaco) to discuss the sales of 2 new Ferraris.

You know the salespeople; selling a new Ferrari is already cool (even in Monte Carlo) but 2 !!

He asked his name and the person said "call me Carl" and said his was aboard his Yacht in the Port of St Tropez gave his mobile numer, set up appointement.

The guy dressed up (big client !) hit the road -in the summer it is really hot and traffic can take about 2 1/2 to 4 hours to drive there ! - got to the yacht met the (apparent) owner: "hi, I'am Carl he said, offered him a drink and they started to do their business on a first name basis as Carl has asked him to.

At one point some kind of assistant discreetly came to Carl as he had a phone call or something important to attend to. He excused himself, and the salesman started to feel really uncomfortable as he kind of noticed some royal manners (something sounding like "your highness" in the assistant's way of interrupting Carl.

He approached that man who stayed near the salesman (you don't leave guests alone) and asked him "I feel akward (sp?), is this person someone I should know about?

The assistant told him that he was the king of Sweden !!! The salesman told me he had never felt so much like an idiot in his entire life!!

The king returned and the salesman apologised to him saying he didn't know who he was, but the king told him "we started on a first name basis, let's continue that way".

I think he ordered the 2 cars anyway.

Maybe some members from Sweden could tell us if their king could be doing such a thing and if he is that much of a car fanatic.

Hi to you all, special thoughts to Gustav in NY, have fun with East Coast members meeting you.

Great sunny day -chilly- from Paris, Fr

:byebye:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts