1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found an article in the BMW UK Car Club magazine about these guys :

Has anybody tried them?

http://www.nagengast.pl/www/index-en.html

- shock-absorbers with EDC system (Electronic Damper Control) in BMW cars, E 31 ; E32 ; E34 ; E38 ; E65 ; E66 2 YEARS

Gdansk / Poland.

I'll be shipping them the old SLS strut that we just took off / replaced on my passenger (kerb side) rear.

Apparently it's about £150 for a rear refurb.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK, I'm going to update this thread as it has a more relevant title for later searching by other members.

I received a reply from Monika Nagengast last night (in English.

Nagengast said:
Hi James,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes, we can repair your damaged shock absorber.

The price is 450 PLN ( 90 GBP) for the restoration
+ 70 PLN ( 14 GBP ) kit protector
+ 120 PLN (24 GBP) for the courier.

The repair last around 2 days.
You get a 1 year warrant.

They dont have collection service or specific courier that has to be used, pick a courier and send them in.
(think about this, do you have a specific courier for deliveries to your house? I know I don't, not sure why people expect them to have a collection service...)

They use DPD couriers to return the items to customers.
DPD internaltional courier service rates are listed here
http://www.dpd.co.uk/content/product-services/dpd_international_tariff_guide-opt.pdf

I'll be packaging up my faulty / leaky SLS and sending off to them this week.

They are in Gdansk, which even I know is a major city / port of Poland, so, I'm not so worried about the courier delivery.
"NAGENGAST"
ul. Malczewskiego 103
80-107 Gdańsk
POLAND

Jamie

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Jamie - is your car a 3.6 ? If yes is it completely clear that they repair non EDS shocks as well as EDC shocks ? Good news for all our cars if they do.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Another board member from the States and I are taking a leap in this refurb venture. Will share details as they come in. Suffice to say we are restoring 2 pair of front struts that were working when they were pulled from either wrecked or parted sedans. Not seeing the original struts up close other than in pictures is the leap, and not knowing personally our logistics man is also, but it's through this membership that we venture on.

We joke that BMW Classic will issue new struts right when we get these in our hands, but the main thing is to stay on top of our suspension desire to keep and enjoy EDC.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jamie - is your car a 3.6 ? If yes is it completely clear that they repair non EDS shocks as well as EDC shocks ? Good news for all our cars if they do.
I think so, I did point it out to them, and, the price is lower than repair price for EDC...

soon find out as I'm hoping to ship the unit to them this weekend

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
didnt get anywhere near the task of packing up and sending the SLS shock - will update here when I have

·
Registered
46 Posts
I received my EDC shocks back from Nagengast in Poland. They barely made it back in one piece. But look better than new and are on the car. The car drives amazing! I sent all 4 shocks for rebuild and custom packaged them (if you go to there web site there is a photo of my package upon arrival in the Facebook area). On the way back was a different story, they were wrapped in thin bubble wrap and put in the box. When they arrived both front strut arms were sticking out of each end and the box was half opened. Nothing damaged although I feel bad for other peoples packages that may of meet up with them. Any way a very good experience with Nagengast. Also I now have 4 used shocks that have 85,000 miles the backs don't leak. Any takers. I paid $1,100. for the set.
Mike. 1995 540I M Sport Hellrot, Nurbergring suspension

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's funny, I took a photo of how I'd packed mine up (yesterday) ready for sending... perhaps I'll request that the use the same box and polystyrene packing inserts to send them back!

it's an old flat screen monitor box, which still had the polystyrene end pieces inside to protect the monitor.

I cut out a few bits of poly and the struts went in perfectly. 17 inch monitor - perfect size!

Jamie

Attachments

·
10,458 Posts
your return shipment box looks like mine did. Luckily no damage. I've had my refurb'd struts in for a couple months maybe. Really pleased.

They told me as long as rears aren't leaking don't bother, nothing else to fix, other than replacing the accumulators

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amazing packing job sir !

Disappointed to read / see that the packing on the way back isnt fit for purpose, shame, first bad point really.... And not necessary when they were provided with free custom made return packaging in the first place.

I think an email will be sent before I post mine off, I'm in no rush to send due to house moving dates.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After struts is rebuild, shock rod is out so they cannot use same packing?
Good point ?

Still rubbish way to return expensive parts to a customer though

·
10,458 Posts
Good point ?

Still rubbish way to return expensive parts to a customer though
they could compress and strap it down as other new shocks are when shipped.

·
Registered
46 Posts
edc repair

Just got done driving my 540i with the new struts around the twist's. Forgot all about the poor packaging! Wow any body considering restoring the EDC system will be highly rewarded! There is no other option. I recently sold my 91 M5 with complete suspension upgrades camber plates Etc. That car drove very well! I'm searching for words right now to describe the difference between the two. Stab the pedal on the 540 and the steering and suspension react immediately to the torque. The car just lays down in any direction. Even shifting in the corners the car stays stable. Anyway don't want to bore anybody out there. just say 'in "Step right up and get you struts rebuilt now!"

1 - 20 of 42 Posts