BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide whether to buy two scuffed-up rear OEM rims and get them refinished! Has anyone done this before and if so, how were the results and can they match to existing color and spec for fronts (my front ones are relatively new!)

Any suggestions fellows?

:deal:

·
Registered
138 Posts
depends on the place where you get them refinished. all it is, is a paint job on the wheels. a good place should have no problem getting them back to oem condition.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Find a good rim shop and you will have no problems. Check other members nearby for recommendations.
Colour matching is not easy, it helps if you can give them the fronts at the same time, then pair up the front and rear that match each other closest to put on the same side of the car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i thought the shadow chrome was essentially unobtainable in the US? no?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Wheels America is the local Dealerships refurb company.A friend thats a 22 year BMW mechanic says the only thing they can't match is the paint.He says he can't tell where the ding was after they fix them.$129 without the tire/$149 with and they fix them overnight.:M5launch:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought the shadow chrome was essentially unobtainable in the US? no?
Is this stil the environmental issue with the overseas Shadow-Chrome paint process and paint that BMW uses or is this just a simple case of not shop out there being able to replicate this process? I guess safe bet is to take a couple of pics of my front rims and have the shop of choice match as close as possible the front color to the back! That way, they are not out of whack! I noticed that mine in the rear are lighter than the front so this will probably will be a summer or fall job once I take a vacation and send these puppies to a shop for refurb during my absence.

Good thing I kept a pair of 18' m-parallels off my old 528i!

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
You really ought to try a search ... many threads on this issue ... although some places may have mastered the technique by now.

The OEM paint is NOT obtainable in the U.S. for environmental reasons.

Don't supply a picture, they do not accurately reprent the color.

I would suggest having all 4 wheels done at the same time, for consistency.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You really ought to try a search ... many threads on this issue ... although some places may have mastered the technique by now.

The OEM paint is NOT obtainable in the U.S. for environmental reasons.

Don't supply a picture, they do not accurately reprent the color.

I would suggest having all 4 wheels done at the same time, for consistency.
Agree with you.

What are the feelings on having them chromed? or is that a MB thing.:M5launch:

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Agree with you.

What are the feelings on having them chromed? or is that a MB thing.:M5launch:
I had my first set polished and clearcoated. But, I bought another set of new OEM wheels (anal), so the original set (which look almost the same as new) are sitting in boxes in my garage (never mounted). It was MORE expensive than chroming. I just didn't like the look of chrome wheels on an M5.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA might be relatively close to the OP... give them a call.

IMHO, having two wheels on the same side done at once is more that adequate-

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA might be relatively close to the OP... give them a call.

IMHO, having two wheels on the same side done at once is more that adequate-
The original post mentions two rear rims ...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The original post mentions two rear rims ...
That's correct! My front ones are fine!
In order for them to match my front ones to rears, it would require someone who has done this numerous times in the past and successfully! I know pictures (no matter how clear or detailed, don't always do justice) but it does beat buying 4 new rims!

I will do my homework and decide which option works better and does the least pocket damage!

Or the other alternative is to buy 4 SSR GT3's which I really like (staggered of course!) - well, maybe!

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
That's correct! My front ones are fine!
In order for them to match my front ones to rears, it would require someone who has done this numerous times in the past and successfully! I know pictures (no matter how clear or detailed, don't always do justice) but it does beat buying 4 new rims!

I will do my homework and decide which option works better and does the least pocket damage!

Or the other alternative is to buy 4 SSR GT3's which I really like (staggered of course!) - well, maybe!
Based on posts here over the years, I would seriously consider Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA. But, I would still have 4 done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts