BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had my car for a year. I thought I would share what owning this car has been like for me.

A little background on me to set the context for my opinions, I realize we are all very different with different expectations from our rides:

I am not a mod guy or pure speed freak, and am one of the older guys on the board from what I can tell. I use my 6 as a daily driver with most trips being 20 minutes or less in small city traffic. In the last year, I have put close to 5,000 miles on the car and while I have had a couple of electrical issues, the car hasn't left me stranded anywhere and overall has been great. 20%-30% of the miles have been done on the very nice twisty roads we have here in the Ozark mountains.

So, my thoughts:

1. I flat out love this car. Even the Bangle butt has grown on me which I didn't think would ever happen. I find myself driving as often as weather permits with the windows down just to listen to the V10 sing.

2. I wouldn't recommend this car to the average person as a daily driver around town, it just isn't why the car was built. However, with all the settings you are in control of (yes, Jeremy Clarkson, some of us are smart enough to figure them out and take advantage of them), almost anyone could find a combination of clutch, ride, and power, etc. that made them happy for this kind of driving. I prefer M mode myself for its quicker clutch engagement from a stop, crisper shifts overall, and knowing that all the ponies the car has are there when I want them. 2 times pure acceleration and once the stopping power of this car saved me from other's mistakes and kept me out of fender benders at the least and one that would have been a pretty good crack up.

3. I hadn't planned on an M6 when I found this car and didn't get a chance to do enough research before buying. I got such a great deal, I took the leap anyway. After joining this board and learning about some of the severe issues that CAN happen with this car, I almost decided to sell. I did some pretty serious investigating, including soliciting advice from some of the other members here since they know what the M6 is like, on cars that could be a suitable replacement in the same relative price range. A couple of options were pretty tempting but in the end, I decided that buying a warranty and keeping this car was the best option for me for now. I look at is as pre-paying for repairs and capping my liability in case something really goes wrong. To each his own on this one.

4. This is a great board with many knowledgeable and friendly people. My enjoyment of my car has been enhanced by the knowledge and camaraderie that are shared here. Many thanks to everyone!

5. When I do get to get out of town and get on one of our mountain roads, the car comes alive! It drives much smaller than it is (this coming from someone with a couple of Jensen Healey's in his past) but it still isn't a roller skate on rails. If you are looking for that kind of thing, this probably isn't the car for you. However, for a big GT with all the creature comforts, it is brilliant. And it is FAST! Yes, this car or that car will go faster in a given situation but the overall blend of speed, cornering, and comfort straight from the factory is pretty tough to beat, even 8 years later. I love being on those roads with the windows down, tach nudging the higher end of the rpm range, and no traffic in front of you. I only wish I could do that every day.

The bottom line for me is that a year later I still get a huge grin any time I go into my garage and see her sitting there and don't have a clue what I could buy at this time that would make me feel the same way.

It is a pretty day so off to the twisty roads in my back yard!

:cheers:

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Thanks for sharing Jim!

I think that's the best thing about these cars, they can appeal to a wide audience. Much of my driving are long hauls up the West Coast or out through the desert into AZ, CO and NV. I have never had an issue. I have an e60, but I can't think of a better platform for those long hauls.

And you're not alone being one of the older guys...you're not that far away from me!

I've used mine at the track and as a DD for the last 70,000+ miles. She's modded, but not to the point of being unreliable or undriveable for daily use.

Congrats on your first year of ownership!

·
In Memoriam
2,400 Posts
Thanks for sharing Jim!

I think that's the best thing about these cars, they can appeal to a wide audience. Much of my driving are long hauls up the West Coast or out through the desert into AZ, CO and NV. I have never had an issue. I have an e60, but I can't think of a better platform for those long hauls.

And you're not alone being one of the older guys...you're not that far away from me!

I've used mine at the track and as a DD for the last 70,000+ miles. She's modded,ouich but not to the point of being unreliable or undriveable for daily use.

:cool::M5thumbs:

Either mod it properly old man or drive a Lexus.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

George:byebye:

·
Registered
5,847 Posts

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You know me too well! I have nothing left to mod...except a Stroker :haha:.

(We have a Lexus...shhhh):snore000::snore000::snore000:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You pretty much said it all my very good friend.

Best to you and yours,

George:applause::cheers:
Thank you MY very good friend for this and everything else you have done over the past year to help me enjoy this car!

All the best to you and yours as well!

Jim

(I have seen that the McLarren's and La Ferrari's are starting to be delivered - can't wait until yours hit the stable and pics are posted!)

Thanks for sharing Jim!

I've used mine at the track and as a DD for the last 70,000+ miles. She's modded, but not to the point of being unreliable or undriveable for daily use.

Thanks!

I wish I got to do more cruising in my car. When I go to the local dealer, I get on the interstate for 30 miles that seem to be over before they start. I would love a run through AZ, CO, and/or NV. Have been to all three but not in this car. Would be a classic case of taking the long way home!

I don't plan on seriously tracking the car but I do have plans for getting out to some of the driver training days to make the most important mod on this car which is to have me in closer to the edge situations with this car. I have done a couple in the past with the 850i but that was an entirely different beast.

As I said, I am not a mod guy, but honestly I don't push this car hard enough to even worry about mods 99% of the time. The new warranty precludes doing anything for the next 5 years but I am OK with that. When I need a mod fix, I can always read the LaLaRay thread. :1:

Here's to another 70,000 miles!:M5thumbs:

Jim

I know that was for Fiftytwoeighty but geeze, I can't let my stock M6 see this or her feelings might be hurt because an old man who should be in a Lexus is driving her! :haha:

Jim

·
In Memoriam
2,400 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You know me too well! I have nothing left to mod...except a Stroker :haha:.

(We have a Lexus...shhhh):snore000::snore000::snore000:

:cool2:Come to the dark side. Write a six figure checque for start..
Then it gets really interesting !!!

1000 whp ???
Naa...
Naa...

Ok, 1500 whp.
Feek the pain in the neck ?

Noo, it is not your age... 1250 Nm torque are pushing your brain and your balls are up to your stomach...

Come on Woody... Before you ( and me and Jim ) get really OLD.

you are getting married .... Shhh.. you know, kids, school, life sucks big time !!!

It is now or never ...

Lambo UGR...1500 whplovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelove

Devil's advocat ( aka George )ouich

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
:cool2:Come to the dark side. Write a six figure checque for start..
Then it gets really interesting !!!

1000 whp ???
Naa...
Naa...

Ok, 1500 whp.
Feek the pain in the neck ?

Noo, it is not your age... 1250 Nm torque are pushing your brain and your balls are up to your stomach...

Come on Woody... Before you ( and me and Jim ) get really OLD.

you are getting married .... Shhh.. you know, kids, school, life sucks big time !!!

It is now or never ...

Lambo UGR...1500 whplovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelove

Devil's advocat ( aka George )ouich
As always, I love it George! I showed Kelly your Lexus comment earlier...she could not stop laughing!

I'll probably come to the dark side next, but the wedding first!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Jim,
Very well written. May you enjoy that wonderful M6 and her s85 for many years to come. Be careful, as I am sure you already know, George and Woody will spend your money faster than LaLaRay can get pulled over.

George and Woody, you two just crack me up. :cheers:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim,
Very well written. May you enjoy that wonderful M6 and her s85 for many years to come. Be careful, as I am sure you already know, George and Woody will spend your money faster than LaLaRay can get pulled over.

George and Woody, you two just crack me up. :cheers:
Thank you for your kind words and yes, George and Woody have a gift that way! :haha: But I am not sure ANYTHING can happen faster than LaLaRay can get pulled over... although I guess it would take a minute or two for him to pull over and them to get there. :hihi:

Jim

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW - the sun was shining, my oldest son was home for the day and willing to spend time with his dad, the road was almost traffic free, appropriately twisty, with the occasional long straight... so for 45 minutes today, I was able to enjoy EXACTLY why we own these cars!

:M5launch:

Jim

·
Registered
468 Posts
1 Year Anniversary

Jim,
Congratulations on the 1 year anniversary! I had mine back in Jan and I feel the same way about my M6! Great write-up! I'm hoping to take a road trip up into the smokies for some twisty thrills one of these days! I envy you having those types of roads right outside of your back door!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim,
Congratulations on the 1 year anniversary! I had mine back in Jan and I feel the same way about my M6! Great write-up! I'm hoping to take a road trip up into the smokies for some twisty thrills one of these days! I envy you having those types of roads right outside of your back door!
Thank you! These are cars to love aren't they?

Take that road trip sooner rather than later, the smile will be permanent :M5thumbs:

Jim

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thank you! These are cars to love aren't they?

Take that road trip sooner rather than later, the smile will be permanent :M5thumbs:

Jim
Absolutely...I would love to take the trip but, life keeps getting in the way! And now, I'm afraid,....my new acquisition will get the chance to make it there before the M6!.....:grinyes:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome looking machine that brings an entirely different kind of fun!

Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nice post! I'd say dont worry about the reliability - I've had my 08 for 2 years now and had zero issues other than a dead battery. I'm at 43K miles. Plan on doing the rod bearings at 55-60K and Vanos solenoids, line and maybe pump. Just dont rev it till its warmed up, change your oil regularly and enjoy it. I believe the S85 and E60/E63 is otherwise pretty reliable, the components are much higher quality than the 3 series. The other way to look at it is all of that is much cheaper than the depreciation on swapping cars out - and you get to keep an increasingly rare NA V10!

My ONLY gripes are 1) small fuel tank for long road trips 2) leather wear on my drivers seat, lol!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice post! I'd say dont worry about the reliability - I've had my 08 for 2 years now and had zero issues other than a dead battery. I'm at 43K miles. Plan on doing the rod bearings at 55-60K and Vanos solenoids, line and maybe pump. Just dont rev it till its warmed up, change your oil regularly and enjoy it. I believe the S85 and E60/E63 is otherwise pretty reliable, the components are much higher quality than the 3 series. The other way to look at it is all of that is much cheaper than the depreciation on swapping cars out - and you get to keep an increasingly rare NA V10!

My ONLY gripes are 1) small fuel tank for long road trips 2) leather wear on my drivers seat, lol!
I went for the warranty just for the peace of mind. For the next 5 years, I don't have to worry about big things going boom and I don't sweat the small stuff. At the end of the 5 years, I will probably be in that 50,000 mile range and plan on doing the same preventative maintenance if I keep the car (and as you can tell from the original post, I don't see myself ever selling it :))

I agree with your gripes!

Jim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts