BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its around - 7 in my area and every time i start the car it runs normal for about 30secs then i get a report saying engine fult reduced power and will not go over 30mph after the car is warm i just turn off and restart and all is normal anyone had this please let me know thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
i had the same problem getting a report that said engine fault reduced power and dsc failure!sooner or later this report wont go away even if u turned of the car and restart! i went to the dealer and they told me that i should replace the schalter switch. every thing now is ok.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just had the spark plugs change not so long ago its dose not misfire or sound funny its all normal but will no go over 3000RPM untill i restart the car

·
Registered
6 Posts
This just happened to me today as well. Started fine then after 30 secs the engine died and when I restarted I got the reduced power message. It has been left on the drive in the snow the last couple of days so most likely weather related. Put it back in the garage this afternoon so will be interesting to see if it's ok in the morning.

·
8,369 Posts
Any time you experience a Limp Home Mode - you need to take it to the dealer so they can pull stored ECU fault codes and address those problem.

It happened to me last year. The dreaded service engine soon light, reduced power, wont go above 5 miles an hour.

The only remedy: Parked the car, let the engine cool down to reset everything, engine restarted fine.

I took my beast to the dealership. They pulled codes and let me know that what I experienced is a know issue and it requires update of software to the latest and greatest revision.

Took them over 8 hours to update software. Got my car back the next day.

Zero issue since then. Beast has been running trouble free for over a year now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick update, took it to the dealer and the issue was to due to a leak in a high pressure oil hose going to the vanos apparantly. We annoyed, only bought the car in Novemer and it's been back to the dealer 4 times. Asking for my money back which is sad as I love the car but need something more reliable especially as it's my daily drive for work as well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i had the same code with dsc

·
Registered
472 Posts
Get the dealer to give you a printout of the current faults and explain what they plan to do...then look for an indy that can do the work;)

·
8,369 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

FYI, my 2006 M6 has been 99% reliable since the day I bought it almost 2 years ago now.

I suffered 1 limp home mode last year, the dealer uploaded new version of software and it has been 100% reliable since.

My SMG has always worked perfectly.

I wish you the best.

Quick update, took it to the dealer and the issue was to due to a leak in a high pressure oil hose going to the vanos apparantly. We annoyed, only bought the car in Novemer and it's been back to the dealer 4 times. Asking for my money back which is sad as I love the car but need something more reliable especially as it's my daily drive for work as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Happy New Year all... anyone have any of these issues with a Dinan ECU re-burn? Surprised at how much I read about reliability problems. My 06 all sweetness and light but curious what to be waery of, if at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi just a update been to the dealer today had the vehicle diagnosis test module 3 vanos sole valves faulty carried out test several times the valves keep faulting the diagnosis cost me £125 and to fix/replace the all solenid valves /o rings with labour and all parts is £978

·
Registered
750 Posts
hi just a update been to the dealer today had the vehicle diagnosis test module 3 vanos sole valves faulty carried out test several times the valves keep faulting the diagnosis cost me £125 and to fix/replace the all solenid valves /o rings with labour and all parts is £978
That was my issue too! Dealer called me a couple of days ago and said they had to replace the solenoid valves which is what was causing me the reduced power engine fault problem. Luckily its covered under warranty for me as it seems to be quite expensive for that little part. Wonder if this is a common issue with these valves on M6s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts