BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

361 - 367 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Saga continues. Performed open heart surgery on steering column and cleaned Steering angle sensor. Was a slight film on it but really not bad....just a little hazy like if you breathed on it.

Cleaned it off with 91% isopropal, put it back together, cleared codes, went for a drive. Drove about 7 miles and fine. Tested cruise control, hill assist, turn signals turning off, etc..all worked fine. Parked car and turned off for about 10 mins, turned back on and boom ABS light, traction control in iDrive. Lost hill assist but cruise and signals still work fine.

Got home ran codes. STILL getting steering angle code, plus ABS/DSC code. Going to driving it more, maybe the codes need to be purged from the car by itself and not via code reader..we'll see. But not looking promising. :frown

·
Registered
22 Posts
might be a bad battery or alternator. So check your battery first. I traced mine back with the alternator tips being worn out and not having contact. $40 part than replacing the whole alternator. its just hard to get out reaching from the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
might be a bad battery or alternator. So check your battery first. I traced mine back with the alternator tips being worn out and not having contact. $40 part than replacing the whole alternator. its just hard to get out reaching from the bottom of the car.

I think a bad alternator/battery combo may have caused this to begin with. Was getting a ton of the errors, crazy speedo, idirve flickering etc. So I replaced the battery and the alternator with new. No issues with batt and alt now....but now this issue has come up. Possible voltage fluctuations may have fried something in the ABS/DSC system. Just aggravating how everything works fine for a little while when I drive...then will come back during the drive or once I park for a few minutes and turn off back on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think a bad alternator/battery combo may have caused this to begin with. Was getting a ton of the errors, crazy speedo, idirve flickering etc. So I replaced the battery and the alternator with new. No issues with batt and alt now....but now this issue has come up. Possible voltage fluctuations may have fried something in the ABS/DSC system. Just aggravating how everything works fine for a little while when I drive...then will come back during the drive or once I park for a few minutes and turn off back on.
There is a voltage regulator that is part of the equation too. Maybe check that out as well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
There is a voltage regulator that is part of the equation too. Maybe check that out as well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I replaced bad alt with with a new alt (Valeo - it came with new volt reg)

I'm certain this is not bc battery or voltage related now. That's all been taken care of.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just had this issue.

For me, it was the throttle actuator and TPS on bank 1.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

361 - 367 of 367 Posts
About this Discussion
366 Replies
106 Participants
Q.
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing