Hi guys
I am facing an issue with my M5 E60 2007 with 80000 km on it

I am just getting the reduce engine power fault

Once I start my car it runs for 3 seconds only

I need your help

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have recently had this problem. But i would get a number or errors pop. Engine Fault, DSC and a few others. Vines replaced both Throttle Actuators as well as the alternator seem to have cured the issue.

The work was completed under warranty.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have recently had this problem. But i would get a number or errors pop. Engine Fault, DSC and a few others. Vines replaced both Throttle Actuators as well as the alternator seem to have cured the issue.

The work was completed under warranty.
Is not it strange that both throttle actuators got defective at the same time?

·
Registered
137 Posts
according to the tech both had errors for a while but only one had failed and the other was on the brink of failing. The warranty company replaced both so i can not complain..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
according to the tech both had errors for a while but only one had failed and the other was on the brink of failing. The warranty company replaced both so i can not complain..
What error code did you get for the alternator?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Is not it strange that both throttle actuators got defective at the same time?
They wear at the same rate so its preventative, as jut2nv had his done under warranty so it wasn't a cost decision :). The teeth on the internal cogs wear away, it seems to be one of the weaker areas of the M5. General rule of thumb is that when one goes the other isn't that far behind, there is a excellent thread on here talking around replacing the internals well worth subscribing too.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Ror600, Got your PM, but for the sake of knowledge sharing, will reply here if it's ok.

From the screen shot above, there are several error codes which appear throttle actuator related. However, a couple aren't and would seem voltage related. I can't remember from old PMs, did you have your alternator checked?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ror600, Got your PM, but for the sake of knowledge sharing, will reply here if it's ok.

From the screen shot above, there are several error codes which appear throttle actuator related. However, a couple aren't and would seem voltage related. I can't remember from old PMs, did you have your alternator checked?
Yes I did the test from DIS and it is ok

Is there any other way to test?

After clearing the old error codes did not come back but only the siren alarm

The ones on the screen shot are new

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Yes I did the test from DIS and it is ok

Is there any other way to test?

After clearing the old error codes did not come back but only the siren alarm

The ones on the screen shot are new
There are several battery/alternator testers on the market which can perform this. What you are looking for is one which will test the system under load. A good independant repair shop should be able to run the test for you if there is anyone your trust in your area. I check mine occasionally using an old analog voltmeter tapped to a 12v cigarette lighter plug in the car. The analog meter lets you see transients that a digital meter will not respond quickly enough to see.

I do not believe DIS or ISTA will perform a thorough enough test, but I have not tried it myself. If your alternator is underperforming, you will likely see all kind of electrical related issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
ror600
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing