BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you guys nkow anything about Red Line synthetic oil products? I hird that there oil has a base stock that is so good that it can withstand temps of 500 F which is why it is used in jet turbines. Red Line also has an excelent selection of gear oils...75w90, 80w140, mt-90, etc. This oil is expensive, 7.00 to 8.00
a quart, but well worth it. Red Line can be accessed at www.redlineoil.com. I know a dealer who will ship for free for 100.00 orders or more and no tax...www.synlubes.com.
Do you guys recomend this oil for the m5? I know that bmw has a part no. 88 88 6 900 307 which is a fuel system cleaner and lube for upper cylender and valves and fuel injection which is called sl-2 (sl-1 is a larger bottle than sl-2 which is used for first time cleanup.) If BMW recomends it I guess Red Line makes excelent products.
Also, when should the change over to Red Line synthetic oil take place...100, 1000, or 5000 miles? By the way that base stock is called a polyolester base stock. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I've used Redline 5w-30 before in my N/A built Honda before, and its a high quality oil. I did an oil analysis at 7.5k and it still had plenty of life left. I haven't had any experience with Redline in a BMW, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. But I'd be interested to hear from others who have used it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've been using Redline oil on my Inline-4 racebike and Motul Ester (300V) in my Twins for many years. I also use Redline in my M5. :)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
your thread sounds more like an advertisement for the product than a question regarding the use of the product. :3:
Sounds like he is seeking advice from any E39///M owners who has experience with this product!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Red Line motor oil is not approved for use in any BMW engine....or Toyota engine, Ford engine, GM Engine, Mercedes engine, Briggs and Stratton engine, Honda engine, Kawasaki engine, Weed eater engine, John Deere engine, Cummins Engine etc.

This is because Red Line is not an industry-certified oil. Red Line does not get their products certified like most other companies, so suitability & durability over the long haul is not verified. Red Line skips industry-recognized European and USA certification testing that's been established & proven over the last 50+ years. Red Line buys street stabilizing additives from Chevron Chemical and pours them into their street oils like kool-aid.

The quality, goodness or suitability of an oil is not based upon marketing, mfr or race hype.

Red Line is NOT used in Jet Turbines. Red Line is absolutely not approved for aviation applications. You are reading misleading marketing literature.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Also, when should the change over to Red Line synthetic oil take place...100, 1000, or 5000 miles? By the way that base stock is called a polyolester base stock. Thanks guys.
hmmmmm..... and just how many m5's do you think are out there that need to worry about having 100, 1000, or 5000 miles on the odometer before switching over to redline?? smells like marketing... wrong forum maybe???

·
10,458 Posts
hmmmmm..... and just how many m5's do you think are out there that need to worry about having 100, 1000, or 5000 miles on the odometer before switching over to redline?? smells like marketing... wrong forum maybe???
7 (Seven!) year old thread guys. Were probably plenty of brand new e39 M5's in sept of 00!

I certainly appreciate a search and resurrection of an old thread, but i'd suggest when someone does it, point it out.

Does sound like the OP is selling redline product though.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
nuts!! that's like a pop quiz to see if we were paying attention in class....

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Mottati and Gherardini seem to feel the same.......

Im not the only one who is iterpreting this thread as a marketing type push for the product. Just have to read in between the lines to realize whats truly be said. ;)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Nah, I can't see the marketing angle in the original post. Redline/Amsoil et al had plenty of buzz going back then because there were only a handful of synthetics on the market back then, Mobil 1 being most widely advertised and distributed. Even I used Redline back in 2000, in my M3. UOA's are your friend! There is NO substitute to seeing if an oil is suited for the E39 M5 application, whether BMW-approved or not, for a used oil analysis.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Definitely reeks of marketing.

"this oil is expensive, but well worth it"

Lots of typos though, you would think a communications major or whatever his background is, would at least use spell check.

7 years ago and original poster is long gone, making sales of other products probably.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I noted on his Public Profile, he listed his Occupation as "salesmaker" ... Enough said.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used RL oil, fuel injectors cleaner and gear oil for some of my 3 and 5 series cars. But i did not see any benifit of it other than paying more for it.

Jim

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Im not the only one who is iterpreting this thread as a marketing type push for the product. Just have to read in between the lines to realize whats truly be said. ;)
Well if he is a salesman, his cleverly placed post has finally paid off after sitting for 7 years with NO replies....

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Only two post to his account, I wonder if he still gets email notices from these threads?

My input(I know some have good useage from the oil) is that Redline basicly killed my Suburbans catalitic converter. I have since changed the oil out and the consumption has been reduced to maybe a half quart in 4000 miles. The truck has 180,000 miles on it and hasn't been apart. With the Redline in it I was lucky to have only a quart at 2000 miles.
I do like and use other products the company makes, this is just info for others to have.
I have since given the two cases of oil I had left to a friend down the street with a drag car, I hope I won't loose a friend soon.:haha:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Only two post to his account, I wonder if he still gets email notices from these threads?
His goal was probably to just post and run on as many enthusiast or car sites as possible. Probably never owned an M5 at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts