BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi M5 Brothers

How is every one doing tonight!
I wanted to ask every one what are there thoughts on a product that I just used and I must share and get every ones thoughts on!
The product is called: RED LINE SI1 Fuel cleaner
Its a little clear bottle with red liquid in its about 455ml big cost me about 20$cnd

So any ways I have been having issues with my beast lately, I have had a message pop up saying engine malfunction / reduced power!!
So any ways the first time the thing popped up it was on for about 5 days then when I flashed my beast up one morning it was gone about 5 or 6 days later! I was so happy that it was gone! My beast has zero reduced power it lost only 1000 rpm it will only let me go to 7000 rpm insead of the full 8000 rpm... Any ways so after this message went away I started looking online and seeing what might have caused this message to come up.. Allot of people say the fuel pump.. So I thought to my self if the light ever comes back on I will go buy a fuel cleaner.. So I was racing around about a week after the light went out and when I shifted into 3rd to 4th and at very high rpm around 7000rpm while shifting the light came back on!!!! So I bought a bottle of this RED LINE SI1 Fuel cleaner!

I ran the tank dry to almost where it said only 5km left of gas in the tank to go before empty then I went to chevron put in the whole bottle of this red line si1 stuff then I put the best gas they have because I know they have techron in there gas so I filled my beast right up to the top with 94 chevron gas!

And thats as far as I have gone so far... I noticed a difference soon as I left the gas station seemed like the car had more power and just seemed to be running allot smoother and better BUT still has this stupid light on!

So any ways I just wanted to ask every one what is there thoughts on this cleaner do any of you use it what is better then it all of thoughs questions thanks again every one

·
Registered
311 Posts
Read the codes first of all, I am also having the same issue, happened to me yesterday morning, i was under WOT and light came on. I'm going to change the fuel filter in the first place.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered a scanner off of eBay and I'm still waiting for it to get here.. I bought an icarsoft a910 any ways I will read them once it gets here and also I really want to just clear them I can't handle looking at the light

·
Registered
194 Posts
You got the engine lights because you used those fuel cleaners, I had similar situation too.
Now If I use anything, it's a bottle of techron only. Maybe twice a year (not available in Canada, but can buy in Walmart in Bellingham).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the engine light well before I put any cleaner in my engine... The whole reason I put the cleaner in is because the light came on and I thought it might have to do some thing with the fuel pump!

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
First thing I would do is pull the codes and start from there as right now you are just shooting in the dark. Reduced power message can come on for numerous reasons.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Throwing fuel injector cleaner in the tank isn't going to fix the problem and might make it worse. Pull the codes and go from there.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Honestly your problem sounds like the secondary fuel pump is starting to fail. I remember another member having similar symptoms and that was his problem.

FYI fuel injector cleaner is typically just to get some mpg and performance back from a slightly gummed up injector that hasn't been cleaned in a while - it's not to fix actual problems that are big enough to throw a code. That said, Redline SI-1 is one of the best fuel injector cleaners. I have 3 bottles in the garage right now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts