BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the red cog this morning. Now car stuck in my child's local school parking lot. Pulling off interstate into parking lot I got yellow followed by red cog and then messages disappeared. Pulled through drop off line and when I got towards end of parking lot the car went to red cog and shifted to neutral. Pulled into spot and turned off car. Sat for a minute and restarted car. Red cog came back on and then car died. Now car stuck in first gear. Will tow to dealer and see what happens. This sucks!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Talked to dealer yesterday afternoon. Found a SMG leak. Topped off fluid and test drove car. Could find nothing wrong with SMG relay and that they would like to keep overnight and monitor leak. Fingers crossed that a leak is all it is.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just heard back from dealer and SMG pump is bad. We will see how quick we can this taken care of and get back onto road.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It really sucks!!!!! Do you have an extended warranty plan on your beast ? How many miles the car has? Keep us informed ....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
42,000 miles ouich and yes I have an extended warranty :haha:. Getting approvals on everything now.

·
Banned
194 Posts
Hopefully everything works out for you. Did you flash it back to stock before goin to dealer?

·
Registered
735 Posts
pls provide detailed feedback on your warranty company and how they treat you when all is said and done. will be helpful for others....

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Got my car back and everything is great. Changes gear much smoother and quieter. Much less noticeable changing back to first gear than it was. The warranty was one I got from carmax and it covered everything with the exception of a $300 deductible. Took about 1 day for approval, 3 days for parts 2 day repair. Very happy with outcome and car is running strong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, good for you. I wasn't so lucky. Got the Red Cog of Death a few weeks ago, all the symptoms I've read about on here. They took the car in and had it for two weeks waitign for parts, one of which had to be shipped in from Germany! Cost me $8,500 to get my baby back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first car didn't cost nearly that much! Then, this morngin, having had the car back for less that 2 weeks, I got the red cog again and she stuck in 4th gear!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got back home, started her up and she's back to normal again. WHat the heck is going on? Taking her back in tomorrow to let the dealer have a look... Here's some of the work they did on her but not all of it....

Replaced;

Clutch
Twin mass flywheel
Output cylinder, clutch
Clutch sensor
Hydrolic Fluids
Numerous bolts, gaskets etc pertaining to the repair
Install, bleed system, and program and clear faults on BMW Computer
Re-secure cooler

Parts Total: $4224.94 + tax
Labor: $2595.00 (no tax on labor)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for that. Mine is good so far. Shifting smooth and crisp. I need to find bill, but my bill ran around $5400 for what they had to do to it. Hope they figure out your car soon. Good luck!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts