BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i just pulled up to work, and i parked the car turned it off (only electronics on navi and radio) so i turn the car back on and the symbol flashes i turn it off and on again it started right up and didnt come back on the car is running fine only thing i have done is the section 3 eisenmann race

·
2,132 Posts
Without codes hard to help.. Get a code reader like carly for bmw, delete the codes stored and then see if anything comes back or if your able to reproduce the red cog.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Seems to be a rash of transmission errors popping up lately, this is like the 3rd one I have seen in 2 weeks.
Probably has to do with cars getting up there in miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without codes hard to help.. Get a code reader like carly for bmw, delete the codes stored and then see if anything comes back or if your able to reproduce the red cog.
Seems to be a rash of transmission errors popping up lately, this is like the 3rd one I have seen in 2 weeks.
Probably has to do with cars getting up there in miles.
Yea i think its some type of code error because i dont drive it hard it works perfect and the mileage is 52k im gonna go get the diagnostic done. Thanks guys

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: took the car to the stealership was charged 350 for a smg pump relay which fixed the problem but 4 days later the same exact symptoms came back, these are the codes it is now throwing
2b10 smg module monitor
2b57 safety concept manager action
2b11 smg engine speed monitor

5200 evalution engine speed (can)
510c evaluation engine speed (sensor)
4f40 hydraulic unit under shooting of pressure range

Im convinced the mechanic who worked on my car messed something up because before repair i used to hear my pump working after its low. Need help.

·
Registered
929 Posts
$350 for a SMG relay that takes 10 minutes to get to? You've got to be kidding me...
Who is this crook stealership? No wonder they get a bad rap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$350 for a SMG relay that takes 10 minutes to get to? You've got to be kidding me...
Who is this crook stealership? No wonder they get a bad rap.
Prestige in new jersey by far the worst ones i've ever dealt with in my life, after the repair the same symptoms return, takes them a week and a half to diagnose that the "new problem" is the transmission control module

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FmL now itll go into gear and will move but its slipping it has no power :( take it to bmw to fix and it only comes out worse.

After repair i will need to get into a warranty that covers smg parts as well bought the car in december the dealer said they couldnt warranty it 08 m5 with 46000 miles

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Prestige in new jersey by far the worst ones i've ever dealt with in my life, after the repair the same symptoms return, takes them a week and a half to diagnose that the "new problem" is the transmission control module
SMG Modules don't go bad. Period. If they did, I wouldn't have 15 of them I've been trying to sell for over a year.

SMG troubleshooting sequence should always start with testing the battery on a load tester, then verifying alternator output for both DC and AC (verifies a diode isn't blown). In your case, this is especially true as you have some odd other errors along with it. Low voltage means low torque output from SMG pump motor, therefore undershooting pressure range and running more frequently to maintain it.

After that, SMG pump relay isn't a bad start, but as mentioned it's a $5 part with 15minutes of labor to replace.

Finally, given the SMG pressure problem, the SMG hydraulic pump motor itself is a common failure. This is a typical brushed DC motor design and over time, the brushes wear out, carbon dust builds up internally and provides a parallel path for current that should be going to the armature windings. $300 part, 4 hours labor.

Not sure geography wise how close you are but @M5 daemondaemon runs a shop, M-chanics, in Valley Stream, NY and is one of the most competent techs in the country for this car and transmission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I brought it to another euro shop that just told me the same exact thing you did about the module, except he said with the symptoms its showing it could be a crankshaft position sensor, anyway im going to try and get to the bottom of this, valley stream is about an hour and half away thanks for the input i will go to them next

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I brought it to another euro shop that just told me the same exact thing you did about the module, except he said with the symptoms its showing it could be a crankshaft position sensor, anyway im going to try and get to the bottom of this, valley stream is about an hour and half away thanks for the input i will go to them next

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SMG Modules don't go bad. Period. If they did, I wouldn't have 15 of them I've been trying to sell for over a year.

SMG troubleshooting sequence should always start with testing the battery on a load tester, then verifying alternator output for both DC and AC (verifies a diode isn't blown). In your case, this is especially true as you have some odd other errors along with it. Low voltage means low torque output from SMG pump motor, therefore undershooting pressure range and running more frequently to maintain it.

After that, SMG pump relay isn't a bad start, but as mentioned it's a $5 part with 15minutes of labor to replace.

Finally, given the SMG pressure problem, the SMG hydraulic pump motor itself is a common failure. This is a typical brushed DC motor design and over time, the brushes wear out, carbon dust builds up internally and provides a parallel path for current that should be going to the armature windings. $300 part, 4 hours labor.

Not sure geography wise how close you are but @M5 daemondaemon runs a shop, M-chanics, in Valley Stream, NY and is one of the most competent techs in the country for this car and transmission.

Also the relay was just recently changed by the dealership im going to look into your scenario i hope thats what it is lol and nothing crazy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts