BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And so it begins. I went on a little cruise today and everything was going well until i saw a RED Cog pop up. From what I remember I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and the car went into neutral then a red cog popped up on my dash. First thing i did was try to pull over but all of sudden the Red Cog went away and I was back in gear. I tried to replicate what i did but no COG reappeared. I checked the cars status in I drive and everything was OK. No faults. FULL POWER. There is no slipping going on with the clutch. The only thing I did different today was hook up the car to a battery tender for the first time for about an hour.

Searching the M5board I read some members having Red Cogs pop up when starting their cars up in the morning and shifting from N to Reverse. But their issues were fixed by replacing the old battery. My car is a 2008 and I believe it's still on the original battery. The previous owner changed out the SMG relay back in 2011.

Anybody have this issue in the past? The Red COG that goes away?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Have the codes read. Could be one of about 30 possible errors. Given the intermittent nature, it may not be severe, but better to know for certain.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If I were looking now, I would probably pick up something here:

EUAutoHaus Package #8 looks about right.

I have no affiliation or experience with them, but the package looks good. The cable works on both Dual K Line cars as well as D-CAN, so you're covered if your build date is before or after 3/07

ISTA/D gives you easy diagnosis and has TIS (shop manual) built in while you still get INPA for getting down in the weeds.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx Donald. For the pass couple of days I've seen no Red Cog. Drove a total of 410 miles. Seems like it's back to normal. I'm receiving the package from EUAUTOHAUS tomorrow. I'll report what I find and my plan of action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts