BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, my sincere thanks to all of the member who have shared there difficulties and triumphs here!
Having spent many months and countless hours pouring through the information contained in these pages it comes as no surprise that we have finally become victims of the infamous red cog. I had just picked my son up from the airport and was enjoying a spirited drive home in the early morning hours of a sunny Saturday on relatively deserted streets. Rolled from a light in first, grabbed second and nailed it, redline shift to third. Flashing "3" and no engagement. Slowed and down shifted to second, hard engagement. Rolled to a stop and stalled. Was able to get neutral and start the car, seemed as if there was no clutch. When attempting to engage 1st, the car would jump and stall. Was able to get it rolling once under reduced power but after stopping again we were unable to proceed. Dialed up AAA and off to Long Beach BMW. The car has just over 58,000 and is thankfully still under the CPO warranty. As it is soon due for the major 60,000 service I authorized that as well, $1,1150 est for the sericve and $50 deductible for transmission repairs. Got a brand new 428i for a loaner and as long as they make the proper repairs they can have the car for several weeks if necessary.
While there is never a good time for catastrophic transmission failure, having shared in multitudes of member SMG failures and still being in the CPO warranty period makes this bitter pill a little easier to swallow.
Updates as they become available.
Mike

·
2,149 Posts
Are you the 2nd or 3rd owner of the car? Any tranny work prior to your knowledge on the car? GL, you will be good with the CPO..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you the 2nd or 3rd owner of the car? Any tranny work prior to your knowledge on the car? GL, you will be good with the CPO..
Second owners, no know previous tranny work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be sure to share any and all info I am able to garner.

·
2,149 Posts
^ J colley is right... Yea, post any codes or the service receipt they give you... For future reference if anything.

BTW any engine software or euro smg software installed? stock rev limiter? Any signs prior to this failure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ J colley is right... Yea, post any codes or the service receipt they give you... For future reference if anything.

BTW any engine software or euro smg software installed? stock rev limiter? Any signs prior to this failure.
Absolutely no mods to date mostly due to the CPO. No indication of any issued right up until the missed shift.
Interestingly I had just received my cable from Evolve, purchased the base tune mostly to remove the top speed limiter to prepare for the Mojave Mile next year. Did not even have a chance to download the stock tune.
I maintain the crazy idea that this car will be worth something in the not to distant future, so I never planned any major mods anyway.
All SMG III owners need to spend some time in an SMG II car in order to appreciate exactly how much more refined the III is. In its day there was nothing that could touch it.
Radio silence from the Service Center today.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the call today, clutch worn completely out. I attached a link below to the video, I got a code print out from the tech but left it at the office trying to get out of there. Will scan and post tomorrow. From what I felt and the codes it appears to point straight at the clutch. I suppose the car has no way to decipher why it cannot shift. Explains why I could get neutral but would stall upon gear selection.
Of course this is a wear part and not covered by the CPO. I plead my case with BMW NA and got politely denied any assistance. My service advisor said he would take an hour and 10% off the top of the $3,455.73 estimate.
Better than a pump failure? Not sure.

You've been sent a video mail!

·
2,149 Posts
Got the call today, clutch worn completely out. I attached a link below to the video, I got a code print out from the tech but left it at the office trying to get out of there. Will scan and post tomorrow. From what I felt and the codes it appears to point straight at the clutch. I suppose the car has no way to decipher why it cannot shift. Explains why I could get neutral but would stall upon gear selection.
Of course this is a wear part and not covered by the CPO. I plead my case with BMW NA and got politely denied any assistance. My service advisor said he would take an hour and 10% off the top of the $3,455.73 estimate.
Better than a pump failure? Not sure.

You've been sent a video mail!
Thanks for the update and video, looking forward to the codes..

That price is very steep imho, can you list the parts they are replacing and prices? You can prob cut a few bucks off that price by buying the needed parts on your own and giving it to them..

58k miles for a clutch to be finished isn't unheard of but seems like cant get alot of clutch out of the smg..
Riding the clutch, launch control or full throttle starts, etc will aid in clutch wear..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Code scan, I am assuming mileage is represented in km. The estimate represents 1/3 parts and 2/3 labor. I have not studied the R&R of the SMG III but having recently had my Indy replace the clutch in the E46 the labor was 13 hours. When I stopped by yesterday the exhaust, all of the shields, the trans etc are all neatly arranged all over the floor. Had I know I was in for a clutch I would have explored other options for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
-CAN fault messages aren't caused by bad clutches. They are caused by voltage problems.

- SMG pump under shooting pressure range isn't caused by a bad clutch. It's caused by voltage delivery problems or a hydraulic leak.

- adaptation no run? Voltage related.

- electronic actuators for air filling (idle) errors aren't caused by bad clutches. Neither are IAT sensor failures. They are caused by either coincidental simultaneous failure or vintage delivery problems.

How exactly did they tell you your clutch was bad unless the transmission was already out? There is absolutely no way to tell the condition of the clutch via software.

Tread cautiously, this doesn't seem to be a holistic approach by them at troubleshooting. More like Easter-egging until it works.

Bad clutches don't cause voltage problems, but voltage problems will cause SMG problems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tech told me he was able to check modules that led him to the clutch and that he would not have taken it apart if not for that info. Either way I got the call today that the car is ready for pick up. i would imagine there will be a breakin period for the clutch but after that I will install the Evolve tune and put it through its paces and see what happens. I will be more active in checking codes as we get closer to CPO expiration in December.
If I get any more info I will be sure to pass it along.
Thanks again to everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts