BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wonder, if it is more prevailing that cops focus on red color cars more than others... I am about to buy 2003 Imola Red, and it scares me that cops will be always looking for bright colored cars to pull out of the traffic.. It is bad enough that they discriminate against BMWs or other sports cars (you seem to be always scrutinized more than others, same with Corvetts..), than driving boring cars.

What is your experience, especially owners of Imola Red?

·
Registered
214 Posts
igorkb-

I never believed this and in fact I "Googled" it and found that it is an old wives tale. What I found was that people who are "drawn" to red, read Ferrari, BMW, etc. MAY be slightly more aggressive drivers and as such may be more inclined to commit traffic infractions. It wasn't a function of red, per se, but a function of the personality of those who would choose red. I, myself, am proud to be a member of this "group" and go through life not thinking about tickets and the like, but of the experience that might lead to a ticket. You hit the nail on the head when you said "boring."

In the scheme of life, of love lost and found, of children and experiences, of The Last Mango in Paris, what the heck is a speeding"ticket" anyway?

igorkb said:
I just wonder, if it is more prevailing that cops focus on red color cars more than others... I am about to buy 2003 Imola Red, and it scares me that cops will be always looking for bright colored cars to pull out of the traffic.. It is bad enough that they discriminate against BMWs or other sports cars (you seem to be always scrutinized more than others, same with Corvetts..), than driving boring cars.

What is your experience, especially owners of Imola Red?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
It wasnt an M5, but I drove a red car for a few years, and it was only my own stupidity that got my pulled over. Well then again "turning to quickly" wouldnt really hold up in court, so maybe that is why I didnt get the ticket... :haha:
It's a wives tale. Red cars stand out a bit more, but unless you are doing something to deserve a ticket then you wont usually get one.
:cheers:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a silver 2003 330ci and a mugello red e36 m3 with a carbon fiber hood, ltw spoiler, black rims, and slammed low to the ground. I drove both cars the same exact way. I would be pulled over twice a week in the M3, and never in the 330ci.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I had an Imola Red 740i Sport and it never attracted any more attention than any other car I have driven. Granted a red car does stand out in traffic but I am inclined to believe that your driving style and habits will cause you more grief than a gorgeous Imola Beast.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
kcdoyle,

Thanks for the very impressive post, I think you really hit the nail on the head. Your right, we must ask ourselves, what is a speeding ticket in the realm of things. Take lifes problems as they come, rather than building a brick wall around yourself, fending off life itself.

Happy motoring,

Travis

·
Registered
193 Posts
kcdoyle said:
igorkb-

What I found was that people who are "drawn" to red, read Ferrari, BMW, etc. MAY be slightly more aggressive drivers and as such may be more inclined to commit traffic infractions. It wasn't a function of red, per se, but a function of the personality of those who would choose red.
But wouldn't the police know this personality-based attribute of red car owners based on years' of experience in watching for speeders, and therefore wouldn't the police be predisposed to seek out red cars since, all else being equal, red cars tend to attract drivers who speed more than other colors?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Jaeger said:
But wouldn't the police know this personality-based attribute of red car owners based on years' of experience in watching for speeders, and therefore wouldn't the police be predisposed to seek out red cars since, all else being equal, red cars tend to attract drivers who speed more than other colors?
I recently had a conversation with a CT state trooper friend, and he did say that he singles out red and yellow cars. Then again thats only 1 cops point of view??????

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I don't think red is any worse than other colors for drawing police attention. It's the way you drive that gets you into trouble. If you're weaving in and out of traffic, you could drive a grey camouflaged car that blends into the pavement and still get a ticket. Besides, yellow is the most standout color anyway, not red. If you really like Imola Red (and I really do!), get it. For the past 3 years I've also had an Imola M Roadster that I drive pretty hard as my "fun car" and recently replaced it with an Imola M3 convertible. Hope to keep that record alive. :cool:

·
Registered
947 Posts
EvilTommy said:
I had a silver 2003 330ci and a mugello red e36 m3 with a carbon fiber hood, ltw spoiler, black rims, and slammed low to the ground. I drove both cars the same exact way. I would be pulled over twice a week in the M3, and never in the 330ci.
maybe more to do with the way the red one looked than the fact that it was red!!! hmmm :confused2 ouich

·
Registered
48 Posts
A few years ago I was told by a police friend (Maidstone, kent, UK) that when he gets bored he plays "car snooker".

For those of you not familiar with this great game, it's played on a table that looks like a pool table, but is much bigger. there are 15 red balls (1 point), one yellow (2), one green (3), one brown (4), one blue (5), one pink (6) and one black (7 points).

First you have to pot a red, then a colour, then a red, then a colour....etc.

Car snooker, for bored cops, is played in a similar fashion......first they stop a red car (one point)....then a coloured car (points depend on colour), then another red...then another colour, then a red again....etc.

The crew with the most points at the end of the shift wins...and as they have to stop a red car every other time, red cars get stopped way more than any other colour

So there it is, my friends, is why red cars get stopped way more than any other colours...bored cops playing car snooker....

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
It is total crap that red gets more tickets than other colors. In fact the number 1 ticketed color in the US is..................WHITE. And of course the reason is that it is the most driven color. Now, is red as a percentage more ticketed than others colors? I do not have the answer there.

I can tell you that after 4 years of Imola Red ownership and 45k miles, I have never been puller over(thank you V1). Believe me, it is not because I drive concervative. I have topped the car above 160mph indicated on more than one occasion out in the desert. Now I also do not drive like an idiot in normal everyday traffic.

Remember, no matter what the color, you are just driving a family four door sedan which just happens to have 400HP! Lets just hope the local authorities don't pick up on the last part anytime soon.

Mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree that red draws more police attention and that it is not a wise tale. I have spoken with police officers that have told me the same thing.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
EvilTommy said:
I had...a mugello red e36 m3 with a carbon fiber hood, ltw spoiler, black rims, and slammed low to the ground. I drove both cars the same exact way. I would be pulled over twice a week in the M3, and never in the 330ci.
I was pulled over (but not ticketed) in my Mugello Red M3 by a cop in Seattle on 99. His opening words to me were "You guys in your red cars - don't get a red car!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts