BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stopteck BBK on all 4 corners. Recently the BRAKE light came on dash. I didn't see a brake wear sensor in stoptech kit. Or is there one? What else can trigger this light?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Sensor wire probably broke, left front or right rear, or your brake fluid is low. I'd check the latter first...

You're correct though, BBKs generally don't have wear sensor inserts in the pads...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the fluid already. It’s full. I’ll check the wires tomorrow. Is there any way to disable the light with a tool or software?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Checked the fluid already. It’s full.
Are you SURE? Because there's like 4 different silly 'compartments' in that reservoir and it's really easy for it to 'look' full even when one of those hiding in the back is basically empty. Kicked my *** more than once flushing brakes even when I was aware and on the lookout for it!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you SURE? Because there's like 4 different silly 'compartments' in that reservoir and it's really easy for it to 'look' full even when one of those hiding in the back is basically empty. Kicked my *** more than once flushing brakes even when I was aware and on the lookout for it!
I had opened the cap and looked inside. Now that you asked, I'll take a second look.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Did you get a warning on the lower cluster that said brake pads? That is usually how the sensors report. The red light comes from other more critical things like pedal travel indicating low fluid, but there are others. It does not automatically reset. I am trying to find the info on the reset now, because I don't remember what it is.
Check for fluid on the trays sometimes the clutch is leaking and that makes for low fluid on a single stroke .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you get a warning on the lower cluster that said brake pads? That is usually how the sensors report. The red light comes from other more critical things like pedal travel indicating low fluid, but there are others. It does not automatically reset. I am trying to find the info on the reset now, because I don't remember what it is.
Check for fluid on the trays sometimes the clutch is leaking and that makes for low fluid on a single stroke .
thanks. The fluid seems to be full in the reservoir. I pumped the brake pedal and it feels okay. I couldn’t lift the car today. I’ll look at the sensor wire and look for leaks when I lift it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright gentlemen.. brake wear sensor it was. The front sensor wire was cut. I stripped and crimped together the positive and negative wires. That fixed it. Thanks for chiming in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts