BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

Well just had my Oil changed and thought i could check for some fault codes when i had the computer with me.

So the codes i got were (3rd time i have erased them):

AA DME - Secondary-air too low - Carbon buildup?
69 DME - Signal, Engine Temperature - T-stat in most cases?

AA DME: My question is, i have never seen the SES light go on so i wonder if i have it "hidden" by some software modification - but then again i read that when you have the sharkfin software, it wont even show up at all as a fault code?
Or is it possible that it works good enough to not activate the light but bad enough to make the DME code?

69 DME: My temperature "seems" to be working OK, it gets warm quite fast and lies around 75 on the oil gauge when driving normally and around 90-95 degrees when i really push it hard on the motorway for 15-30 min in the summer (I'm gonna try and monitor the oil temp a few days with the secret menu, starting tomorrow)
Could it be the sensor that is messing about?

The car runs fine otherwise, except for the first 2 minutes when i do a cold start, then it is a bit jerky on the idle and you can feel it in the throttle aswell, first i was thinking CPS but could this be because of the Carbon buildup? It shows no sign of any wobbly throttle once its warm!

And also, recommended shops to buy the thermostat from? :)

:M5launch:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Okay, so even the first day it might have revealed that it has some issue with reaching the proper temperature..this was after 15-20 min of driving

The temperature did not go above 71 degrees, its about 3,5 degrees Celsius outside now (38 fahrenheit)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thermostat is stuck open and needs to be replaced. It should be at steady 79, nothing lower. This replacement should fix code 69.

For secondary air flow is too low, It is usually caused by carbon build up and find a tune to over look this code.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah as i suspected! Thinking of ordering from ecstuning if the OEM thermostat is unrealisticly expensive

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update to this, bought new sensor and thermostat only to find out that the temp is fine now according to the TEST: 7, it lies steady at 79-81 degrees once properly warm. Havent plugged in the computer to do a fault code read yet.
Well now i have extra spare parts if i need them someday :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts