BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pulled out of a gas station today after filling up, as I was coasting to a red light, I noticed I had not reset the "Consump 1". Pressed the button and had a reading of 41.7! While waiting for the light to change I was brought back to reality. Once I pulled away from the light, the "teens" came back.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Yeah! Where I fill up, it's all downhill after leaving for about 3/4 mile and mine will read 99MPG!

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
XrayMD said:
Yeah! Where I fill up, it's all downhill after leaving for about 3/4 mile and mine will read 99MPG!

WHAT!! Only 99mpg!! Next time try jumping out of your car and running along side. The reduction in weight will surely give you a few more mpg. Of course you'd have to be able to jump back in at the bottom of the hill like some stuntman or something-- a minor problem, I'm surre! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: OK I'll quit being soooo goofy!

PS mine does the same also, but nearly as high as 99mpg--I'll have to find a gas station with better topograpghy hiha

Anita

·
Registered
694 Posts
considering our performance, Our M5's compare to E39 530 and 2004 E46 3 series. I had an opportunity to drive both while they were replacing my clutch and I found that the average I got with the 2 dr 325i was 17.6 mpg.

When i drove the 530iA I got 16.5 avg mpg.

When I drive the M5, i get 16.8 mpg?? I'm in an 8 cyl, the E39 530iA is a heavy car for the six, and the E46 325 a Smaller six with a lighter car.

How can they all avg about the same MPG? Is it the onboard computer that is off?

Or is it that the M5 with all the power doesn't require as much pedal to get the same power as the other so we save Gas?

Or on the other 2, is it that we need more pedal to go as fast and so we use more gas?

I dunno, I'm so confusedddd... ??????

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ocean's M5 said:
considering our performance, Our M5's compare to E39 530 and 2004 E46 3 series. I had an opportunity to drive both while they were replacing my clutch and I found that the average I got with the 2 dr 325i was 17.6 mpg.

When I drive the M5, i get 16.8 mpg?? I'm in an 8 cyl, the E39 530iA is a heavy car for the six, and the E46 325 a Smaller six with a lighter car.

How can they all avg about the same MPG? Is it the onboard computer that is off?

Or is it that the M5 with all the power doesn't require as much pedal to get the same power as the other so we save Gas?

Or on the other 2, is it that we need more pedal to go as fast and so we use more gas?

I dunno, I'm so confusedddd... ??????

Those numbers you saw for the 6-cyl cars seem awfully low. When I had 530 (5-spd), I got about 30 cuirsing around 70-75, and average over 10,000 mile in DC area was 26.5 mpg. I got about 23.5 average over 16,000 miles, consistently while driving in Germany where I typically cruised around 100 mph.

John

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used to drive Prodrive Subaru's (Back in the 90's) and they used to return about 15mpg and eat 4x Tyres every 8000 miles........

I am pleased with the M5's 16-18mpg and only rear tyres every 12000miles...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SiGreen said:
I used to drive Prodrive Subaru's (Back in the 90's) and they used to return about 15mpg and eat 4x Tyres every 8000 miles........

I am pleased with the M5's 16-18mpg and only rear tyres every 12000miles...

How about 13.5 mpg and rear tires every 8 to 10,000? Guess my driving borders on being aggressive.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ocean's M5 said:
I had an opportunity to drive both while they were replacing my clutch and I found that the average I got with the 2 dr 325i was 17.6 mpg.

I don't know what the problem was with the 325i but I had a 330i for 3 years and 60K miles, I averaged 24.6mpg during that time. That included daily blasts to almost triple digit speeds and many redline shifts.

Regards

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Silverstreak said:
How about 13.5 mpg and rear tires every 8 to 10,000? Guess my driving borders on being aggressive.
How about 8 MPG?
That's what I get at Laguna Seca Raceway! :wroom:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just driven down to Spain and back. On a fixed distance driving across central Spain (all dual carriage way for 560 mls) averaged 23.1 mpg at a speed of 90-100 mph most of the time, very little traffic though.

·
Registered
511 Posts
32 Mi/Imp Gal.. or roughly 8.6L/100km doing 75-85mph. Could get around 750km on full tank.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My typical "all around" gas mileage:

2002 M5 16.5
1999 M3 22.0
1989 325IS 23.0

·
Registered
236 Posts
On a motorway run at about 120mph all the way I got about 365 miles from a tank. If my calculations are correct that is a 16 gallon tank (?) which gives an average of 22.8mpg (?) .

Pip

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Pip said:
On a motorway run at about 120mph all the way I got about 365 miles from a tank. If my calculations are correct that is a 16 gallon tank (?) which gives an average of 22.8mpg (?) .

Pip
Tank is supposedly 18.5 US gallons, but I have put in over 19 when I run it down near bottom.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
236 Posts
Jerry, assuming your gallon is the same as ours (with the caveat that we are two nations separated by a common language :) ) ie 4.5 lt equals one gallon that makes the tank have an 85 litre capacity.

I should also add that having looked at my electronic copy of the handbook it shows a tank of 18.5 gallons but equates this to 70 litres :confused2 and a reserve of 2.6 gallons which it equates to 10 litres :confused3 . Confused? I certainly am.

1. Does the total capacity 18.5/70(?) include the reserve 2.6/10(?)?
2. Which is the correct figure gallons or litres?
3. Did the proof reader pass his maths exam?
4. Is the US gallon different to the British gallon?

Anyone who can provide enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Pip

·
Registered
298 Posts
Pip said:
4. Is the US gallon different to the British gallon?
Yes, it is. 1 US Gallon = .833 Imperial Gallons.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Pip said:
I should also add that having looked at my electronic copy of the handbook it shows a tank of 18.5 gallons but equates this to 70 litres :confused2 and a reserve of 2.6 gallons which it equates to 10 litres :confused3 . Confused? I certainly am.

Pip
My 18.5 gallons seems to include the reserve. By watching the miles to empty, I do not believe there is 18.5 gallons PLUS 2.5 gallons in reserve (that would be 21 gallons). I think part of the difference is in the fuel filler pipe, it must hold about a gallon. Last fill up I took 19.2, car showed range of about 1/2 gallon, about 15 miles DTE. So, unless I carry a small gas can around, I am afraid to find out how accurate my OBC info is!! (I know the mpg is between .5 and 1 mpg optimistic).
Regards,
Jerry (US gallons)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
gsfent said:
So, unless I carry a small gas can around, I am afraid to find out how accurate my OBC info is!! (I know the mpg is between .5 and 1 mpg optimistic).
Regards,
Jerry (US gallons)
Jerry, I know what you mean but 'running out of gas' can result in a fine in most of Europe, especially if it happens on the autobahn or autostrada.

While I have no boasting rights for a record, I have noticed that the OBC in my car seems to be the most accurate of any BMW to date. I always do the math and then compare with the OBC.

Yes, there normally is a small variation but then I only calculate MPG once after fillup and the OBC is always making additional calculations and adjustments for fuel that was returned to the tank unused, so the difference may be a matter of timing versus accuracy.

Last item, I have noticed that US spec cars and European spec cars seem to hold different amounts of fuel in the fuel filler pipe that may be associated with components of the vapor recovery systems.
Ken

1 - 20 of 28 Posts