BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I have to choose my spec in the next couple of hours so I am hoping for some help from all of you. What options are a must , what options could you not live without on your car

thanks in advance

·
Registered
985 Posts
I would take all of them (besides perhaps full leather and speech control).

Especially the HUD is, IMO, a must. I also love the comfort of the multifunction seats.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ohhh, and perhaps skip comfort access (I didn't take it because of some horror stories).

·
Registered
593 Posts
I agree on the multifunction seats. I have them running all the time.
Also consider the bluetooth option with a snap in adapter for your phone.
I am still waiting for the new V24 software to arrive so I can have my IPod interface. No experiences with it yet, but I have big hopes for it.
I just ordered a BMW56 module from tvandnav2go to get some digital tv and dvd picture on the i-drive screen.
Last but not least, a glass roof.
I played with the speech control and it didn't work that good, but I guess that will take sometie to get used to and learn the proper vocals to control it. I am still considering this option because I can be put in afterwards as well.
Must say that my alcantara roof looks very good too, but for the money I wouldn't take it and stick to the oem interior roof.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For a UK spec car I would say the must haves are:

BlueTooth
Logic 7
Extended Voice Control

Through Load is worth thinking about so it gives options when you need to move a carpet or spare set of tyres etc etc.

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
Phil,

Did you decide to buy new in the end? What colour are you settling for? I think I've got pretty much every option available at the time of production except for climate comfort screen so here's my definitive list of what i do and don't use. (We spoke on the phone a while back, you're still more than welcome to view car if you want clarification on any of the extras or just want to see what they do)

Standard on UK spec cars:
  • HUD
  • Sunroof
  • Navigation System Professional
Definitely get (if only to help re-sale value)
  • Bluetooth is a 100% must have (+telematics i have but don't know how to take advantage of it)
  • Logic7 stereo is a 100% must have
  • Full Leather (especially if you get silverstone interior, it looks very luxurious. This option will also give you alcantara headlining)
Seriously consider:
  • Comfort access (i can't live without it)
  • High beam assist (spooky but works great)
  • Through Load (didn't think I'd need it but used twice already)
  • Voice control (it's buggy and slow but it's much better to say "CD 5 Track 1" than it is to click menu-->entertainment-->CD 5...etc) If you don't think you'll like i-drive go for voice as an alternative.
  • Rear side airbags (if you have a car full regularaly)
  • ISOFIX child seat system (if you have youngies)
You could live without:
  • Don't bother with M-function seats unless you track it regularly or like saying to people "...wait till I go round a corner...how cool is that!" Passengers love it but I only turn it on when I'm on my own on the back roads in the dry or on the track. All other times I just have it set to permanent tight fit which you don't need the m-function for.
  • Active seat ventilation (I have used it once or twice in summer but remember we live in the UK and it's going to be snowing in the NW tomorrow morning)
  • Rear electric blind (i don't use it at all)
  • Tow bar option (I have it but never going to use it)
  • TV function (I try and use it while waiting for McDonalds but never get good enough signal)
  • BMW Assist (I have it but don't know what to do with it)
  • BMW Online (I have it but don't know what to do with it)
If you are still undecided about colour then why not go individual, this will give you full leather and alcantara roof lining?

Non BMW extras to consider:
  • Tracker Plus / Horizon (don't go without it)
  • Radar locator eg Origin B2 or Snooper (you may be law abiding but just trust me on this!!)
  • Smash proof window film (nothing to do with the fact you are liverpool based :haha2:, just an extra precaution with the increase in car jackings in the UK. Member LEDWATCH had his home in the NW broken into the other week with people looking for his car keys and I've had people at lights and petrol stations attempt to punch through my previous car windows)
  • Rear headrest screens (only if you have kids/teens and do long road trips)
  • A company fuel card / shares in Shell or Esso! :1:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya neil
Got a phone call this morning from BM dealer in London saying they had a build slot for me (week 50) so it will be ready for end of Dec, left deposit but have to spec it now. What are you up to today?

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
In work at present but my car is in with Halliwell Jones today getting my squeeky brakes fixed otherwise I'd have suggested a flying lunch somewhere. Out on a date tonight :15:but there may be a small window of opportunity to let you have a look at the car after work? I was going to nip over to Cheshire Oaks, Ellesemere Port if that's any good for you?

I'll give them a quick buzz see if they've got it sorted ready for me to pick up yet. They've had it all morning so may be ready sooner than expected.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Also
Soft Close Doors

especially if you have young children, work great....

If money is a considertion, I would skip the full leather, get the extended leather with the nice headliner like Ashoks car, then fill it with the other gadgets, but if you don't mind the cost, it is very very nice, looks and smells great.

I wouold get the
Sun Protection Glass
electic rear and side sun shades, use the sides all the time and the rear is good if there is someone ugly in the car behind when in traffic...

ISOFIX ?
the car is standaed with isofix in the rear, the option is to have isofix in the front... bare in mind if you have a child seat in the front you have to then disable the airbag etc, so our baby stays in the back so no need to get the isofix in the front...
I wonder if you order the isofix, if they also put the isofix in the drivers seat..?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
scoopz said:
In work at present but my car is in with Halliwell Jones today getting my squeeky brakes fixed otherwise I'd have suggested a flying lunch somewhere. Out on a date tonight :15:but there may be a small window of opportunity to let you have a look at the car after work? I was going to nip over to Cheshire Oaks, Ellesemere Port if that's any good for you?

I'll give them a quick buzz see if they've got it sorted ready for me to pick up yet. They've had it all morning so may be ready sooner than expected.
Are you buying new Armarni undies from cheshire oaks for your date tonightlovelove . If you can let me know when you get the car back I may be able to pop over (if thats O.K). I will be away from the computer from about 2-30 but if you can text me that would be great

Thanks

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Get it all, and for those of you who pussy'd out on stuff because of stories you have heard....shame on you !!!!I have it all and NEVER had a problem with this cool car !!!!!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Is it me or are some of these options not available in the US? I just ordered my car last week (already in production according to the Owners Circle) and was not given some of the above options such as soft close doors, high beam assist, through load and voice control. Are these standard on US cars? Either way I order all the options available except fold down seats and rear heated seats as I live in Florida.

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
NB said:
the rear is good if there is someone ugly in the car behind when in traffic...
:1:So i'm not the only one who's done that then!:1:
It also annoys the hell out of police men in the vehicle behind too. Putting it up means you've acknowledged they're behind you but just don't want to look at them...maybe because you look guilty of something you've not yet done:)

NB mentioned the sunprotection glass, that goes without say (actually it's just another one I forgot to mention)

Philly said:
buying new Armarni undies from cheshire oaks for your date tonightlovelove
No date's worth buying new undies for surely! I was just going to pick her up a KFC drive-thru! Actually the real reason is so I can have a wander around the BOSE shop for a surround sound system.

I am waiting to hear back from HJ but will give you a text once i hear anything.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
scoopz said:
:1:So i'm not the only one who's done that then!:1:
It also annoys the hell out of police men in the vehicle behind too. Putting it up means you've acknowledged they're behind you but just don't want to look at them...maybe because you look guilty of something you've not yet done:)

NB mentioned the sunprotection glass, that goes without say (actually it's just another one I forgot to mention)

No date's worth buying new undies for surely! I was just going to pick her up a KFC drive-thru! Actually the real reason is so I can have a wander around the BOSE shop for a surround sound system.

I am waiting to hear back from HJ but will give you a text once i hear anything.
I do the very same thing often. Can't stand ugly people or cars in my rear view mirror so i just must block them out. Also done it a couple of times to police cars & the look they give you is priceless.

Good luck with your date.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Michael_s said:
Is it me or are some of these options not available in the US? I just ordered my car last week (already in production according to the Owners Circle) and was not given some of the above options such as soft close doors, high beam assist, through load and voice control. Are these standard on US cars? Either way I order all the options available except fold down seats and rear heated seats as I live in Florida.
Soft close doors were rumored to be coming, but I don't think are yet available. Neither is high beam assist. "Through load" is Brit-speak for folding rear seats, which us a US option. Voice control is standard in the US.

HUD is an absolute must. Not only is it an enormously useful device, but cars without it in the US will suffer in resale.

The best aspect of the multifunction seats is not the active side bolsters but the ability to adjust the angle of the upper portion of the backrest. This option is worth getting for the latter function alone.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
It's a very subjective matter.

I would definitely recommend the multifunction seats. I have the blinds (rear & side) and use them a lot in summer. Logic-7 audio is excellent too. TV function is a complete waste IMHO, I have a DVD system installed instead.

In the end you're not going to get back what you paid for the extras, especially for things like full leather. I say get what you want and can afford - it's your car so spec it your way. If everyone was worried about resale we'd all be driving silver cars with black interiors zzzzz

1 - 20 of 25 Posts