BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to upgrade my E60 M5 with a carbon fiber hood (OEM style) so it can be plain and simple. I am not a fan of hoods with vents. I was wondering if you fellow board members knew a great manufacture that makes the best carbon fiber OEM style hood for the E60 M5? Once i get them, I will paint it my vehicle color which is Alpine White.

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I wanted to upgrade my E60 M5 with a carbon fiber hood (OEM style) so it can be plain and simple. I am not a fan of hoods with vents. I was wondering if you fellow board members knew a great manufacture that makes the best carbon fiber OEM style hood for the E60 M5? Once i get them, I will paint it my vehicle color which is Alpine White.
Only one I know of:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/199620-new-hood-m5-e60-what-your-opinion.html

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seibon and VIS are good . I had VIS Hood and Trunk on one of my Rx7's and was good fitment and didn't need adjusting at all. I am looking to get a carbon Hood , seen a few Ebay sellers that look good. The fibre glass with Carbon vents looks good for what I want it to look like. Anyone had a fibre glass hood with Carbon vents ?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I don't understand the point of this. If you are thinking weight savings then you probably haven't picked up an OEM hood before as they are pretty light to begin with. Just seems like a waste of money for the little to no benefit. Let's not forget fitment of any aftermarket hood will never be as good as OEM.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its not always about adding more power :) there are us vain modders out there LOL.
I just want it for the look as i have subtle carbon accents all over. The OEM hood is quite light and your are right an aftermarket will never fit 100% like factory.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Its not always about adding more power :) there are us vain modders out there LOL.
I just want it for the look as i have subtle carbon accents all over. The OEM hood is quite light and your are right an aftermarket will never fit 100% like factory.
He is talking about the OP. He wants a stock-looking hood that he will paint. No one will know its a CF besides him and he might realistically save 10-15lbs.

OP, I would suggest taking the money to buy lighter wheels. It would be a much better area to drop some weight. Losing 2lbs off each wheel is far more beneficial than losing 25lbs off the hood (and really, with any decent wheel you'll save more than 2lbs).

Reactions: Arman_M5

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most probably I'm going to go with Seibon or VIS for the OEM style carbon fiber hood. Thank you so much guys!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seibon Carbon Fiber OEM style hood ordered! I should be receiving it tomorrow. I will defiantly upload some pictures.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No idea on that one. The hood I'm getting installed is going to reduce 15-20 pounds over the OEM hood. After, I want to upgrade my brakes and intakes.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The factory hood is aluminum.

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Stock M5 hood is aluminum. It's already pretty damn light. If you get a CF hood and paint it, that's pretty much a waste. If you wanted to save more weight, change your exhaust and rims.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The vented Seibon CF hood is perfect since S85 generates high heat. Mine never goes beyond 210 mark since installing it.
Really nice. The fitment looks 100%, how do you like it?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Really nice. The fitment looks 100%, how do you like it?
I love it since it keeps the under hood far cooler. I think it was a design flaw for lacking of vents. I don't know other car with such a high temperature in engine area which will induce faster component failure.

I received countless complements for the hood. Most would just adore it, instead the M5 itself :sad1:

No rock ding for almost 15 months. My OEM hood has too many of dings.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love it since it keeps the under hood far cooler. I think it was a design flaw for lacking of vents. I don't know other car with such a high temperature in engine area which will induce faster component failure.

I received countless complements for the hood. Most would just adore it, instead the M5 itself :sad1:

No rock ding for almost 15 months. My OEM hood has too many of dings.
Same reason I am replacing my OEM hood, because of small dings. Looks great brother!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts