BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey anyone here know of any decent shop to do a clutch job? I'm trying to avoid the dealer for this one and cant do it myself since I dont have the garage or the tools. Any M5'ers in the Rochester, NY 585 area code can give me a tip?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you considered CDI in Victor? They seem to specialize in German performance vehicles and although I haven't used them personally, I've heard positives about them. Another Rochester-area board member was planning to have them do some work - haven't heard how it turned out.

I had some work done by a shop in Mendon and wasn't all that happy. They swapped a front wheel bearing on my 540i6 which transmitted a slightly different rotation pulse rate, so the ABS/DSC shut down. They insisted it couldn't be the case, so I ended up replacing both front wheel bearings myself with a matching set - problem solved.

Keep me posted on your findings - I'm sure to need similar services sooner or later (hopefully later, but you never know).
Ed

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed,

Thanks alot. I am looking them up as we speak. Hopefully they will let me choose a clutch of choice to install. I want something a bit more sporty then an oem. I will deff update with what I find.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You could also try Eksten Motorsports in the Greece area. I myself will be testing the waters with my beast and letting CDI do the install of my BC coilovers in a couple weeks. I hope they do a good job they seem knowledgable. Also the owner of Marketview Heights Garage specializes on e39's. He has done work on some of my other cars. We nned to have a meet or something for all the e39s in this area or something

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey there,
Glad to see another 585 M5 owner. That's great. I agree on making a meet sometimes with our beasts lol.
I actually know Paul from Marketview personally. I'm very good friends with his younger brother and known the whole family for 10+ years. I just wanted another opinion from someone else. I will probably be asking him for his help.

He has an insane red beast. I love his M5 and would love to do to mine what he did to his.. Maybe sometime soon.. (I wish)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yea Paul is a good guy he has showed me pics of his beast when I was there with another car and mentioned my beast. I would love to see his in person tho it looked great .

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea its real nice. He recommended me to use a stage 3 clutch from britalman. I know they make a damn good exhaust but a clutch? Any ideas? Im still undecided on which i should get. I want something I can have some fun with lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Haha thats funny cuz I we brought up exhausts and he mentioned how good britalman was but I already had a hayward and scott exhaust. I hear good thing about the UUC clutch

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You got any pictures of your beauty? I'd love to see some. I will post mine up after this...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here she is..

And last but not least, the glory of an M5 :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today is our one month anniversary actually haha. She was sitting until it got much nicer outside :p

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yikes, I was gitty of driving her so bad. The weekend i picked her up it was gorgeous outside. Then it snowed. I was bummed. But I know how you felt. I had to put my bike away to and that was at the end of October. Today I got it out. Now I really enjoyed that ride to work lol

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fuel keeps going up so I will be rotating between my M and my GSXR 600 lol

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Looks like we found another board member in WNY... We started a thread in the regional forum a while back looking for members in the area, it has transformed into an idea of a get-together sometime soon. Check it out!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I spoke to Craigs Autometrics on Winthrop St (behind Little Theater) about working on an M-5 that I just bought but haven't taken delivery yet. They seemed somewhat informed on the E39 but said they didn't work on too many. I also talked to CDI and got the same response. If we can find a tech that knows the car inside and out we can all take our beasts there and probably have a better experience in the long run than @ the dealer or a bunch of different indy's.
Same situation in Syracuse w/ the indy's.
Would enjoy a meet at some point in the spring.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I know you guys are in Roch. and Syr., but I am willing to help you guys undertake almost any job on our cars. I am not set up to "easily" do a clutch job or suspension replacement, (no lift, just jackstands!) but I am more than capable. If I run into trouble on my car I do have a next-door neighbor and friend around the corner who both have 2 post lifts in their garages. Most all work I do in my garage however. (Large air compressor with full line of air tools, oxy/acet torches, floor jacks, stands, cherry picker and engine stand (hope I never need these on the M5), and full line of hand tools.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh wow that sounds like that would be a neat project. Yea clutches are tought to work on.. If you dont set them right you go 2000 miles and need a new one again. Here in Rochester at Marketview Heights Garage there is this Paul that has a few M5's that he works on. He qouted me $470 on a clutch install which is not to bad. Also I spoke to my buddy from Griffs Auto and he said they have also done clutches on bmw's (not sure if M5 or not) but im pretty sure its not much of a diff.

I totaly agree on a meet sometime this spring/summer. Here in Rochester on sundays they have big car gatherings around the Charlotte Beach. Would be intense to see a line of beasts showing of to the 4 banger ricers :) lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts