BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bad oil leak from the timing cover area. My indie tech says that when stripping it down to confirm if it is the timing cover I should be prepared to carry on as it would be expensive to put it back together only to strip it down again.

Furthermore, he says that once it's open it may uncover other things that need to be addressed. I think he means things like valves, piston rings, etc. It has less than 100k on the clock and performs well so I'm hoping this would be unlikely.

Bottom line is that he's extremely unwilling to take it on because of the potentially long time it would take up in his workshop.

My question is can anyone recommend anyone to take this on? Of course I don't want to spend a bomb fixing this but I am prepared to fix anything that needs it along the way.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
We'd be more than happy to take it on !

Send an email to [email protected] to discuss .

We are based in Suffolk , CO10 postcode .

If this is not practical , where abouts are you based , as I may know of someone reputable nearer by ?

D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hi mate

Over the years I've asked various garages, including BMW themselves, about access to the timing area, and never received a straightforward answer. The head may have to come off with the cover, which is immediately a big money job regardless of any horrors inside. Of course David may be able to advise otherwise.

If you want another expert opinion you could also try Farrell at Darjac Racing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The problem with the timing cover is that is slots between the head at the top and the sump at the bottom.

To get the cover out you have to seperate the top face from the head gasket and the bottom face from the sump gasket. The likely-hood of doing this without damaging either one is slim.

When you refit it, even assuming you didn`t damage the top and bottom gasket faces, any sealant you apply to the top and bottom face tends to get scraped off when you push the cover on. Even on an engine stand during build it is a pain.

However if your really lucky its the original oil tensioner assembly leaking which is an easy update.....

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Not coming from the tensioner area is it? Easy fix if it is or time to go begging:crying:

Good luck either way :byebye:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts