BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a shop in the SF bay area to fix the dreaded flashing navigation/hud. And of course the red cog.

Happens after the car has been driven a bit and is thoroughly warm. You can tell it's going to start blinking when sound cuts out on the radio and then turns back on. Errors include ABS, the "strut"symbol, sometimes the battery(now changed and registered) and I believe this is all.

I stopped driving it and just want it fixed without being robbed too much. I read most of the fixes like change battery, alternator, voltage regulator...etc but now I just want to go to a shop that you guys have dealt with and feel good with the results. EXPERIENCE is the key here so if they fixed your similar problem- that would be a plus.

Thank you very much for any and all info

I am going to Phaedrus to talk and get the feel of the shop today

2006 e60 m5

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like it needs some professional diagnosing.

Give Performance Technic in Dublin a call and tell them Randy referred you. They'll take care of you. The owner, Joe, is out of the office today, but Ernesto should be able to set you up with an appointment.

-Randy

--EDIT--

I can't personally say that I've had the same issue as you and have had PTech fix it, but the guys there are BMW Master Technicians and are very experienced in BMWs (they exclusively work on BMWs and recently hired a Porsche Master Tech so now they work on Porsches as well). I haven't heard of a single problem with any of their customer cars they haven't been able to diagnose and resolve.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Only shop I know of is performance technic which is in Dublin I believe. Not sure of any in SF.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
I haven't heard of a single problem with any of their customer cars they haven't been able to diagnose and resolve.
Got to be honest... I still have wobble in my steering wheel. PT did a great job but this problem is truly not solvable.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Got to be honest... I still have wobble in my steering wheel. PT did a great job but this problem is truly not solvable.
What? Damn. I already took my stock wheels back. You want to borrow them? Or at least the fronts?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yea well its way better than it was and no longer wobbles at freeway speeds but it back to a subtle wobble at about 50 and you can feel it more when lightly turn the steering wheel one direction or the other... I am waiting for a set of Shocks from Troy, as another trouble shooting step. i honestly believe it has something to do with the active steering or the power steering system some how

BUT at this point I am out of money and patience. Im getting close to my limit... i dont want to sell the car but i really dont want to deal with this crap anymore!

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Yea well its way better than it was and no longer wobbles at freeway speeds but it back to a subtle wobble at about 50 and you can feel it more when lightly turn the steering wheel one direction or the other... I am waiting for a set of Shocks from Troy, as another trouble shooting step. i honestly believe it has something to do with the active steering or the power steering system some how

BUT at this point I am out of money and patience. Im getting close to my limit... i dont want to sell the car but i really dont want to deal with this crap anymore!
I hear you, chasing down a problem can get expensive.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

I've heard of this problem extensively on another forum where I was a regular until I bought the e60. The 50-55mph wobble plagued e38's as well. It had to do with the control arms/bushings and they had to be torqued/tightened while the vehicle was on the ground or under load. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts

What have you replaced on the car so far? Mine wobbles randomly at times.

·
Registered
431 Posts
What have you replaced on the car so far? Mine wobbles randomly at times.
Ah this will be fun!

• Wheels - 3 times, plus the set Randy let me try
  • Tires - 2 sets
  • balanced off and on the car countless (10+ is my best estimate) time by 3 different shops using Hunter Roadforce
  • Thrust arms - 3 times, including replacing the rubbers with poly, only to have it get worse according to PTech
  • Wishbones - once, actually will be replacing these with BMW parts if and when I ever get my struts from Troy
  • Swaybar end links - 2 times
  • Wheel bearings - once (will never do this job again with out air tools, ruined my forearm, took 10 months to recover! fun!)
  • outer tierod ends - 2 times
  • strut bearings
  • brake rotors - 3 times, because why not. 2 new sets of differing brands and one lightly used set from a board member
Changing the trust arms seemed to have most "results". for example the first time I replaced them nothing changed but the second time the wobble moved from 50-55mph up to 70-80 mph, and the third time (done by PTech) it got WAY better but now happens at 50-55 mph again. Now its way less pronounced but if I am driving at 53mph and lightly turn the wheel 10 degrees or so in either direction you can feel the wheel want to come back to center (normal) but with a "wobblyness" (not normal) and when its back at center it basically goes away.

The F'ed up part is how it is intermittent.

Next step is to replace at least the front struts (if TROY ever ships them) and replace the wishbones with BMW parts because I cheaped out the first time. Also inspect the inner tierods.

Other thoughts, could have something to do with the Dynamic Drive system since it seems to be intermittent. Could possibly be a bad power steering pump, I have some odd ticking coming from its general area that I am hoping is just a pulley or tensioner. could also be the steering rack itself.

So... um, good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ah this will be fun!

• Wheels - 3 times, plus the set Randy let me try
  • Tires - 2 sets
  • balanced off and on the car countless (10+ is my best estimate) time by 3 different shops using Hunter Roadforce
  • Thrust arms - 3 times, including replacing the rubbers with poly, only to have it get worse according to PTech
  • Wishbones - once, actually will be replacing these with BMW parts if and when I ever get my struts from Troy
  • Swaybar end links - 2 times
  • Wheel bearings - once (will never do this job again with out air tools, ruined my forearm, took 10 months to recover! fun!)
  • outer tierod ends - 2 times
  • strut bearings
  • brake rotors - 3 times, because why not. 2 new sets of differing brands and one lightly used set from a board member
Changing the trust arms seemed to have most "results". for example the first time I replaced them nothing changed but the second time the wobble moved from 50-55mph up to 70-80 mph, and the third time (done by PTech) it got WAY better but now happens at 50-55 mph again. Now its way less pronounced but if I am driving at 53mph and lightly turn the wheel 10 degrees or so in either direction you can feel the wheel want to come back to center (normal) but with a "wobblyness" (not normal) and when its back at center it basically goes away.

The F'ed up part is how it is intermittent.

Next step is to replace at least the front struts (if TROY ever ships them) and replace the wishbones with BMW parts because I cheaped out the first time. Also inspect the inner tierods.

Other thoughts, could have something to do with the Dynamic Drive system since it seems to be intermittent. Could possibly be a bad power steering pump, I have some odd ticking coming from its general area that I am hoping is just a pulley or tensioner. could also be the steering rack itself.

So... um, good luck!
Before you started replacing parts was the tire wear even for the fronts? I also remember reading your car was hit from behind?

·
Registered
431 Posts
yes, normal tire ware but one of stock front wheels was cracked, hence the wheels being replaced the first place.

Yes the car was rear ended according to carfax but not totaled. as far as I can tell the rear bumper was replaced, maybe the trunk lid and rear windshield but I have no evidence to back that up. upon inspection there is not obvious damage to the chassis so i believe it was mostly cosmetic.

·
Registered
117 Posts
yes, normal tire ware but one of stock front wheels was cracked, hence the wheels being replaced the first place.

Yes the car was rear ended according to carfax but not totaled. as far as I can tell the rear bumper was replaced, maybe the trunk lid and rear windshield but I have no evidence to back that up. upon inspection there is not obvious damage to the chassis so i believe it was mostly cosmetic.
I think my car was rear ended as well. It was not reported on carfax but i could tell after looking carefully the paint is mismatched and half assed. i'm going to try alignment and balance first as my front tires have wear on the outer sides only. The wobble on my car is more like a vibration and I can't really notice unless I take my hands off the steering wheel and see it vibrate.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Phaedrus

I am looking for a shop in the SF bay area to fix the dreaded flashing navigation/hud. And of course the red cog.

Happens after the car has been driven a bit and is thoroughly warm. You can tell it's going to start blinking when sound cuts out on the radio and then turns back on. Errors include ABS, the "strut"symbol, sometimes the battery(now changed and registered) and I believe this is all.

I stopped driving it and just want it fixed without being robbed too much. I read most of the fixes like change battery, alternator, voltage regulator...etc but now I just want to go to a shop that you guys have dealt with and feel good with the results. EXPERIENCE is the key here so if they fixed your similar problem- that would be a plus.

Thank you very much for any and all info

I am going to Phaedrus to talk and get the feel of the shop today

2006 e60 m5
When i lived in the city these guys were always my go to indy...Real BMW guys, Beautiful shop, fairly convenient location if you like in the City...

Reactions: Puffdragon415

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To end this thread, and for everyone keeping score on the "flashing dash-lights/red cog/numerous error codes"

it was the ALTERNATOR!!

Thanks to the guys at Performance Technic 6310 Houston PL, Suite A Dublin, CA 94568 #925 426 1361

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
To end this thread, and for everyone keeping score on the "flashing dash-lights/red cog/numerous error codes"

it was the ALTERNATOR!!

Thanks to the guys at Performance Technic 6310 Houston PL, Suite A Dublin, CA 94568 #925 426 1361
Nice! Glad they were able to help you resolve your issue.

Reactions: Puffdragon415
1 - 19 of 19 Posts