BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my thermo changed couple month ago, but the reading I am getting on these cold cold winter weather is a little strange....

outside temp 20-25f

speed is in 2 parts, highway cruise at 70-75 and normal city driving around 30-40

on highway it stays around 77 to 78, but on city driving, I would rip one at 1st or 2nd gear and the temp will drop to 75 or even 73 at times, stay there for a bit, then slowly climb back to 77-78.

I am hoping that the thermo is not already malfunctioning...

I think I have seen 80 or 81 maybe once or twice a day, for maybe a second or two, then drops to 77-78 or even 75....

what I am most concerned about is when the temp goes from 78 to 73-75 instantly, is this symptom of anything???

thanks to the board once again....

james

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
It really shouldn't go below 79 w/ the occasional 78 popping up. The cause is the question here. I'd say maybe try a new temp. sensor (the one on the thermo housing) because its cheap and easy. In reality though it probably is the thermo again.

Was the temp. rock solid after the repair (and after it got real cold) or did you just finally get around to testing it? Does your repair come with a mileage or time warranty?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats what I thought

I took my car to some bmw indy place at my neighbor's advice, i think that was a big mistake, and I finally got around testing in cold winter month, well actually my car got into a little fender bender so it was in the shop for a month, so yeah, now I realize it was a big mistake, and since it was thermo that I bought from pelican, the mechanic is going to blame the part as the cause.....

mine as well do it myself, cant believe I paid all that money for this....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts