BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello M5board members,

Thought I would share with you guys my experiences with some recent suspension upgrades I made to my car - RDSport front and rear sway bars and Dinan Lower Control Arm (aka thrust arm) Monoballs.

So for a while now, I have been reading multiple reviews from fellow members (mainly Woody and Isaac) raving about how awesome the RDSport sways are. At the time I had the Dinan Front Roll Control system and Rear Sway Bar already, completing my Dinan Stage 2 Suspension, but was very curious how much better (if at all) the RDSports were. Already over stock, I felt that the Dinan FRC & RSB did an excellent job in improving understeer and eliminating body roll. It was already night & day so could the RDSports improve the handling even more? Woody had the Dinan FRC & RSB prior to switching to the RDSport F&R sways and he swore that the RDSports made a drastic improvement, so I decided to give them a shot. About a month ago, thanks to my good friend Kamil, I was able to get a sweet deal on the RDSport sway bars.

Arrived at my doorsteps 3 days after ordering from Kamil. Anyone who needs any aftermarket mods, be sure to hit him up! Myself and quite a few m5board members can vouch for him.

The RDSport sways do weigh a little more than the stock sways (I think about 1-2 lbs more). There are three different stiffness settings you can choose from for both the RDSport F&R sways. I took Woody's advice and did medium stiffness in the front and stiffest stiffness in the rear. First thing I noticed after having them installed was the change in ride comfort in the rear. My ride comfort definitely got noticeably stiffer in the rear and I could feel more bumps in the road. I kind of missed my Dinan RSB at this point as I didn't feel any extra bumps in the road with my Dinan RSB vs stock. At this point, I was contemplating maybe having the rear adjusted from the stiffest setting to medium. However, after I took my first turn onto the hwy on ramp, I instantly forgot all about the sacrificed ride comfort. The RDSport sways do a phenomenal job at eliminating understeer and body roll over my Dinan setup. I thought the Dinan setup did a good job - I was wrong. The Dinan FRC & RSB do a good job, but the RDSport sways do a GREAT job. I am very happy I made the switch over, although I will admit that over bumpy roads, I do miss the comfort that my Dinan setup offered me. Dinan certainly do a good job at living up to their slogan - Performance Without Sacrifice.

Middle stiffness setting for the front sway

Stiffest stiffness setting for the rear sway

Now for the Dinan Monoballs...again Woody had me convinced I had to get them for the steering improvement. The price tag of the monoballs was $750 so I wanted to wait until Dinan's 15% off sale to grab a set. However, starting July 1st, Dinan dropped their price to $500! I instantly went to Dinan of Campbell and ordered a set. The timing was just perfect too because my indy shop, Performance Technic, had told me that my bushings were leaking so I went ahead and ordered new thrust arms w/ bushings & wishbones to replace them. Upgrading the thrust arm bushings to monoballs at this point in time would save me in overall labor in the long run. I was too excited when I picked up the monoballs from Dinan that I actually opened up the package while driving into work :7:. The build quality of these monoballs is top notch and I was quite impressed with them and I couldn't wait to get them installed. Steve Dinan gives a great description of the added benefit and function of monoballs vs bushings in the below video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2srygzeVpHM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beautiful aluminum housing

I just had the new thrust arms, wishbones, and Dinan Monoballs installed today. First impressions - at normal city driving, I didn't feel much of an improvement in slower speed steering. I did notice some added stiffness when going over bumpy terrain, but it wasn't anywhere close to the added stiffness that the RDSport sways added. No noise from the monoballs either, as Steve Dinan mentioned in the video. Once I started driving the car a bit harder was when I could really feel the steering improvement. The monoballs have made my steering so much more precise and responsive. The added feedback is great too! I feel much more connected to the road when driving at higher speeds or taking hard turns. The improved steering responsiveness makes the car turn with very little pressure from my fingertips. I really like them and think that they're well worth the $500 (well, $544 for us Californians whom get screwed over by tax)!

Dinan Monoball vs stock bushing. No contest!

Comparison after being pressed into the thrust arm

The Dinan Monoballs look sweet!

Getting installed

All good to go!

I am very happy with my newly upgraded suspension bits from RDSport and Dinan and highly recommend them to anyone who is on the fence about either of them. Special thanks to Woody for convincing me to get these RDSport sways and Dinan monoballs and the fine professional techs at Performance Technic for the installations. Can't wait to take full advantage of these upgrades on our NorCal ECFest drive next weekend!

--Randy

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,269 Posts
Glad you're liking your new found balls and stiffer sways!

Thanks for the kind words!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you're liking your new found balls and stiffer sways!

Thanks for the kind words!
Thanks for convincing me to get both of these upgrades, Woody! What should I get next?? hiha

Great review Randy! Great picss and impressions..
Thanks, Senad! I try to do my part in the M5 community by giving my honest reviews and thoughts on the various mods I get installed on my car. I try not to be biased and provide my honest opinion based off of my experience, whether good or bad and don't hide or sugarcoat anything.

·
2,149 Posts
Thanks for convincing me to get both of these upgrades, Woody! What should I get next?? hiha

Thanks, Senad! I try to do my part in the M5 community by giving my honest reviews and thoughts on the various mods I get installed on my car. I try not to be biased and provide my honest opinion based off of my experience, whether good or bad and don't hide or sugarcoat anything.
haha you my friend are def doing your part! :biggrinbounce::M5rev::byee55amg I hope the modding slows down now.. All these texts of your new mods are making me super mod hungry!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha you my friend are def doing your part! :biggrinbounce::M5rev::byee55amg I hope the modding slows down now.. All these texts of your new mods are making me super mod hungry!
Haha I promise I will tone it down. There isn't much more I want to do to my car.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Looked in the Dinan website and saw that these E60 monoballs are 750 bucks, is this correct? Is this just for the bushings?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Reactions: PRM5

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Nice Randy. See you next weekend. I'm curious to see how everything feels.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice Randy. See you next weekend. I'm curious to see how everything feels.
Yaphet, you're more than welcome to test drive my car next weekend. Although you have the 3.91 LSD so my car might feel a tad weaker than yours...... Might =P

Reactions: ykjones

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Looking good Randy :M5thumbs:

Reactions: randywei

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I must embrace this kindness you have bestowed upon me. You are usually making fun of me or one-upping me on the forums haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Me one up you :confused2 I am just a lowly member on this forum...stumbling my way through all the mods that can be done and looking for something new to add ;)

Plus I feel in a good mood today :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Nice reviews Randy. I blame you for all these recent mods and a few more to come. Love me some new balls and they're on sale? Done and done.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Nice reviews Randy. I thank you for all these recent mods and a few more to come. Love me some new balls and they're on sale? Done and done.

Mtec V3 AE
Gloss black front and side vents
Gloss black M5 badge
CF Trunk lid from member socale39
LCI tails with special brake effect done by nomis_nehc aka Boss Cat Designs
LED front and side blinkers and license plate
Hardwired V1
RPI scoops
K&N Typhoon dual funnel CAI with dryflow filter
ACS rep cf front lip
BC Racing Coilovers
Work Varianza T1S
Dinan sections 2 and 3
Secondary cats and resonator removed

Next mods: RD sway bars & Dinan Monoballs
Corrected :D

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,269 Posts
Nice reviews Randy. I blame you for all these recent mods and a few more to come. Love me some new balls and they're on sale? Done and done.
DO IT!!!! Especially at this price!

Kheimlich just got some (mono) Balls too! All the cool kids are Balling it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
What's the symptoms to know you need new balls (thrust arm bushings)? Hahaha
Seriously - I sm going to install H&R springs and thinking this may be good to do while it's all apart...
I do get a clunk over speed bumps and my research on the forum looks like upper or lower arms... Thanks!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's the symptoms to know you need new balls (thrust arm bushings)? Hahaha
Seriously - I sm going to install H&R springs and thinking this may be good to do while it's all apart...
I do get a clunk over speed bumps and my research on the forum looks like upper or lower arms... Thanks!
You have to put your car up on a lift and look to see if the bushings are leaking and how much give the thrust arms and wishbones have.

For your bump issue, my guess is either thrust arms, wishbones, or worst case struts. My right front strut had the same issue, but my indy shop told me they weren't shot and still has look 10-15k miles left in them. Also, after I installed my RDSport sways, the clunking sound disappeared because of the extra tightness on suspension the sways added.

Reactions: Hotsauce

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks Randy, I didn't want to do re-work or leave my beast too long at the shop... Your right, I need to get an expert diagnosis since the dealership said everything is tight ... Yeah right...

Craig

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Looking good! Did they do an alignment after the bushing install?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts