BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had mine installed. Purchased from Shadowman, along with connector pipe to use the stock cats and resonators. The headers were jet coated. I also had Bill get the Evosport UD pulleys, and had both done at the same time.
The install by my mech was pretty painless according to him. The connector pipes did not line up particularly well (even tried switching right and left), but a couple of taps with the BFH, and a little welding, and all went together well. Certainly within the "Murphy factor" for this type of job. Although the collectors are only clamped at the end, so far, no leaks.
Bill was great to work with and was available in case of any problems. The job took about 8 hours, including UD pulley install, and swapping diffs. This was my mech's first header install on an E39 M5.
The car is really transformed. It is not loud, and with my Hamann mufflers, there is almost no difference at idle. You can hear the noise slightly in side the car, but it is melodic, not annoying at all. The taller diff works great for me (but that is for another post!! :cheers: )
If anyone is on the fence, this is a great improvement. As I mentioned to someone else, this is how BMW should have done it from the start!!!
Bill at D/A was easy to work with, always responded to questions and emails, and the guys at Powerchip, Wayne and Joel couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Gotta run, and put some more miles on the car! :M5launch: :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Finally..good lordy.

I had seen your posts hinting at your headers jerry but had yet to see a "true" post about them. Glad that you finally got them and the pullies/diff done.

Happy holidays...

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
Finally..good lordy.

I had seen your posts hinting at your headers jerry but had yet to see a "true" post about them. Glad that you finally got them and the pullies/diff done.

Happy holidays...
Thanks Rob. Between getting the headers and then getting time to get the install done, there was a little lapse. But Bill was great to work with (as you know!) and the car is a lot more fun. Just 360 hp short at the crank, but glad to see your Xmas present is just about ready for play.... :1:
Regards,
Jerry

B

·
0 Posts
Great to hear that you added headers to your beast. I have been trying to tell people for ages that headers and the 3.45 diff are the best ways to "improve" on the M5. Whenever a stock M5 owner drives my M5, they are literally blown aways with how different it is from stock.

Cheers, Daniel.

PS Let me know when you are ready to purchase that little item that is waiting for you in the UK.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BeastPower said:
Great to hear that you added headers to your beast. I have been trying to tell people for ages that headers and the 3.45 diff are the best ways to "improve" on the M5. Whenever a stock M5 owner drives my M5, they are literally blown aways with how different it is from stock.

Cheers, Daniel.

PS Let me know when you are ready to purchase that little item that is waiting for you in the UK.
Daniel
Just to be clear, I did not add stiffer gears, I added TALLER gears. I am still very pleased with the power increase , I can't believe how much quicker the car feels after the install. Headers probably are the biggest bang for the buck as they are a true "horsepower" increase, while the gears are more of a torque mulitiplication increase (also important). I agree that anyone thinking of headers should do it!!!
WRT the "UK" purchase, I still am trying to find the missing "piece" that exists, but BMW UK can't seem to find. To me, that is the most important piece, as it hides the rest of the product. Not giving up yet, especially now that the car is getting closer to "track ready"! cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Oh boy!-- More of g's goodies to check out in a few weeks! :wroom: Kidding Kidding!

I hope to see, and more importantly, get educated on, what you did--sounds like you're having great fun too--the most important part of the modding process, in my opinion!!

Anita

B

·
0 Posts
gsfent said:
Daniel
Just to be clear, I did not add stiffer gears, I added TALLER gears. I am still very pleased with the power increase , I can't believe how much quicker the car feels after the install. Headers probably are the biggest bang for the buck as they are a true "horsepower" increase, while the gears are more of a torque mulitiplication increase (also important). I agree that anyone thinking of headers should do it!!!
WRT the "UK" purchase, I still am trying to find the missing "piece" that exists, but BMW UK can't seem to find. To me, that is the most important piece, as it hides the rest of the product. Not giving up yet, especially now that the car is getting closer to "track ready"! cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry
Jerry,

Thanks for clarifying. Let me know when you are ready for the UK purchase. Enjoy your "new" beast.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
10,455 Posts
gsfent said:
Regards,
Jerry

OK, now you can't just get us interested and not go into more detail! Should we take guesses? I'll guess trailer hitch...
Mike

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mottati said:
OK, now you can't just get us interested and not go into more detail! Should we take guesses? I'll guess trailer hitch...
Mike
Yes, Daniel has been great trying to source this for me. The kit that Don (louv) installed came with a new rear valance with a cut out for the receiver. The kit in the UK does not seem to have the rear valance, and we can't seem to find it separately. The whole idea of going factory ($$$) is to keep the stealth look. Louv has it done, so I know it exists. If we could just source the valance (even if extra$$), I would pull the trigger. Then, the BBK is next............... :2:
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts