BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My m5 is using a lot of oil and i want to take it somewhere besides the dealership. I know oil consumption can be of many of things, so i really want an experts opinion. I haven't found a bmw mechanic that I can trust, so if anyone knows of any that would be great. Thank you

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
My m5 is using a lot of oil and i want to take it somewhere besides the dealership. I know oil consumption can be of many of things, so i really want an experts opinion. I haven't found a bmw mechanic that I can trust, so if anyone knows of any that would be great. Thank you
Easy. OMS: Oceanside Motorsports. Neil, the owner, will answer, or Steve, his head service writer.

They service all three of my m5s. I drive down from Huntington Beach to see them. Tell them you found them on m5board and that Woody sent you.

Their link is in my signature.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
And another:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it.
No problem!

They did the rod bearings on my s85 and are helping me restore my e28 m5. They're not the cheapest, but they blow the stealership away. The owner is a CCA instructor and club racer, so they get it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you're closer down South check out EuroAutoSpot as well. They specialize in BMW and all the guys there are no nonsense and good people.

Gerard is one of the service writers and he will take good care of you.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you want to venture just North of San Diego county, contact Autohaus Frankfurt in Murrieta/Temecula. Their link is in my signature. Top, top notch guys and family run business and they treat their customers like family. Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet and they've been working on BMW's and ///M's for 40 plus years. They've do all my maintenance, work and mods. Ask for Erik or Richard.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I decided to take my car to Euro auto Spot tomorrow. They sound like really good people and are the closet to my location.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just to chime in here,
I have used 2 places here in San Diego to service my E39 M5, Euro Autospot and All German Auto. Euro Autospot went through some growing pains when they moved to the larger facility and their quality suffered so I moved to AGA. Shane is a co owner of Euro Autospot and master mechanic on the E39 M5 and an all around good guy. I recently to my car back to Euro Autospot for a transmission service and had a chance to talk to Shane, he recently hired another master mechanic to mentor his younger guys and thing seem to be going well. As Avante mentioned above talk to Gerard, he will hook you up.

All German is located in Escondido and is a solid shop but tend to be more expensive that Euro Autospot and they are a Dinan authorized dealer FWIW. Steve is the service writer I work with

Both shops give a BMW CCA discount...remember to ask!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my car back today from EuroAutoSpot and was told everything was good. Engine was soild, a couple power steering hoses need replacing and a new oil pan in the near future. I was told my oil consumption was a result of using 10w-60 instead of 5w-30. Maybe I'll change it up soon to see if there is any difference. Master tech said they use 5w30 in all the e39 m5s and 10w60 in all the newer models. :dunno:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey Camacho,
Interesting that the Master Tech would say that, you have probably read about a dozen oil threads if you have been on the forum for any amount of time. I ran 10W-30 initially and have since swapped to 10W-60 and will probably change to the LM 10-60 for my next oil change. Shane used to ask which one you preferred and fill accordingly. My experience is that oil usage is directly related to how often you get into the loud pedal FWIW.

Enjoy,
Jason

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More like 2 dozen threads, haha. I thought it was odd also. One person who works there has the same vechicle and he said he only puts 5w30. I'm thinking I'll just stay with 10w60, but try the moly brand.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Checking for current recommendations for a fellow M5 owner on Bimmerfest...
Are these places still around? Any new recommendations for E39 M5 service in SD?

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Checking for current recommendations for a fellow M5 owner on Bimmerfest...
Are these places still around? Any new recommendations for E39 M5 service in SD?
Yes, they are still around. The links are in my signature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
Fiftytwoeighty
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing