BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ALL!,

I am going to start a series of rebuilding at least one of my ebay engines. Please understand that it will be a slow process, but would love feedback on what I do correct or suggestions on how to do better.

I am not going to talk too much about tear-down. Only the build process.

I now have heads ready for the machine shop, so I will start here.

It will take some time, but hopefully I will learn and help others during the process.

Anyone with VANOS H.P. pump knowledge? I need to learn and address before engine assembly complete.

Again, this will be a slow process, but expect to have a VERY nice engine/s when completed

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am very interested. I only have about 85,000 mi on my E60, but I have considered building a new motor on the side.
Hello Ltanderso,

It will be a slow process, but is moving forward.

Heads where cleaned b/4 sending to machine shop using a media blaster converted to soda medium.

Head are ready to send locally. Nothing special about heads and very durable. Will have them inspect, cut/grind valves and seats.

Blocks are my main concern. Sending to a shop on Monday. Do not expect to have a solution for at least two weeks.

Prep for valves was on using a cordless drill and grinder with mild steel brush to clean all scale, carbon, mud!

Some pics attached, but will take some time before posting new info!

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Delivered heads to machine shop than has been GREAT with my Toyota/Yamaha 2ZZ-GE. When looking at head, I knew valve stem diameter was small, but the S85 is even smaller than the 2ZZ! They are ordering the valve-stem guide for machining the valve seats. Estimate 3 weeks for update on heads, but they will be NEW!

This shop also purchased a new cleaning/de-greasing system and informed me my heads would "clean-up". In my limited opinion of how heads are delivered to a machine shop, I thought they where damn near perfect and clean when delivered!

Very excited to get them back and see final result.

Mr. P

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello fofinha_0,

Please send photos and keep posting. I would love to learn from your build and share any/all info.

My project on hold for the next few weeks do to corona virus.

Mr. P

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not much new to report as heads and block are at machine shops.

Was able to find some used Bank-2 piston/rod assemblies....and they look good!

To all: Be safe and try to avoid too much contact so that hopefully this pandemic will end sooner.

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will get some photos soon. I have an 08 M6 with 111k miles. Rod bearing failed just enough to damage the crankshaft. Piston bores are not affected for the exception of wear from the 111k miles. Bores are within specs, but close to max spec limit. Plan is to buy new rings. I have purchased a new crankshaft from BMW.
This weekend I am cleaning out the block and taking closer measurements of the bores.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello fofinha_0,

Would love to see some pics. Especially crank and bearing failures. My cranks look fine....tbd....and being tested.

The S85 rotating assembly, short block, is fairly strait forward. For me, I am going to measure every journal, main and rod. With engine out of vehicle it is so much easier to service.

My research points for "short block":
1) What is the best clearance when running factory oil?
2) I will also replace "main" bearings as they are cheap and easy with engine out of vehicle
3) NEED to LEARN more about VANOS H.P. pump and bench testing? Install: shim/spacer, bearings, gear mesh, install for no future worries. HELP to anyone detailed info!

I want to LEARN and SHARE!

Mr. P

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Latest updates....and slow....

Received block & girdle. First view today, but pass visual and finger nail test on bores.

Heads still out, other blocks still out.

More to follow. Need to gauge this block and confirm acceptable for standard "used" pistons.

Wish me luck!

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Good luck Mr. P. And thanks for keeping us informed.

Who did the block work on this? I see customs stickers on the packaging.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello AmstaffM5,

Used block ordered with 32K miles from ebay in FL Shipped from Dominican Republic.....weird and worried, but hoping Custom's check has confirmed no issue and good for sale/use in USA

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Block not yet "cleaned", but took some measurements.

Still waiting on heads and other block, but making progress.

NOTE: 1st pass on bores only cleaned with light solvent. Spec sheet shows 94mm, but measured at 92mm.

Comments for bore map improvement welcome as I still need to get this puppy cleaned!

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Process has been very slow due to Coronavirus, but now things are "hopefully" starting to return to normal.

Received update on "block 1" It is currently be bored and sleeved with iron bores.

Pics on machine attached and expect to get started within the next several
DSC01459 (Small).JPG
weeks.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wish my rusty nissan block was that clean! Lol

20200613_220642.jpg

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello specialized2010,

Your block may need some cleaning, but the bores look much nicer!

Not a VQ series...what Nissan is this?....Closed deck....not familiar.

Always interested engine builds!

Mr. P

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hello specialized2010,

Your block may need some cleaning, but the bores look much nicer!

Not a VQ series...what Nissan is this?....Closed deck....not familiar.

Always interested engine builds!

Mr. P
Meh, nothing major on this job like yours. Its the VG33E on my old 2000 Nissan Frontier. I'm just doing a simple head gasket job but during tear down I discover lots of things to replace. I already prepped the mating surfaces on the block for the head reinstall. I'm hating this Nissan at this time - hard to work on and gets rusty really quick.. nothing like my toyota's. Head gasket blew up on me months ago. I just had the heads resurfaced and refreshed with valve job and seals, and some cleaning. I have been lagging on this project honestly. So is my E60 M5 6MT - its on jack stands right now waiting for an RPI oil cooler because my Radtec oil cooler failed at the second row. A replacement is on the way but due to this Covid thing it is taking a long time. So I ordered an RPI and that is also back ordered. Just waiting right now for stuff. Still have the new Stoptech BBK I bought that needs to be installed as well. Ended up rebuilding my AR15 long rifle and changing configuration for 3 gun action.

Reactions: P-Chi

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sweet! We gonna thread drift to guns again??
Check out my post on this other thread..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts