BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ALL!,

I am going to start a series of rebuilding at least one of my ebay engines. Please understand that it will be a slow process, but would love feedback on what I do correct or suggestions on how to do better.

I am not going to talk too much about tear-down. Only the build process.

I now have heads ready for the machine shop, so I will start here.

It will take some time, but hopefully I will learn and help others during the process.

Anyone with VANOS H.P. pump knowledge? I need to learn and address before engine assembly complete.

Again, this will be a slow process, but expect to have a VERY nice engine/s when completed

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am very interested. I only have about 85,000 mi on my E60, but I have considered building a new motor on the side.
Hello Ltanderso,

It will be a slow process, but is moving forward.

Heads where cleaned b/4 sending to machine shop using a media blaster converted to soda medium.

Head are ready to send locally. Nothing special about heads and very durable. Will have them inspect, cut/grind valves and seats.

Blocks are my main concern. Sending to a shop on Monday. Do not expect to have a solution for at least two weeks.

Prep for valves was on using a cordless drill and grinder with mild steel brush to clean all scale, carbon, mud!

Some pics attached, but will take some time before posting new info!

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Delivered heads to machine shop than has been GREAT with my Toyota/Yamaha 2ZZ-GE. When looking at head, I knew valve stem diameter was small, but the S85 is even smaller than the 2ZZ! They are ordering the valve-stem guide for machining the valve seats. Estimate 3 weeks for update on heads, but they will be NEW!

This shop also purchased a new cleaning/de-greasing system and informed me my heads would "clean-up". In my limited opinion of how heads are delivered to a machine shop, I thought they where damn near perfect and clean when delivered!

Very excited to get them back and see final result.

Mr. P

1 - 5 of 5 Posts