BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day.. super long stressful day at work. Prepping for a road trip tomorrow morning, filling up the tank, checking tire pressure, oil level etc.. No big deal right?

Reason #1) You may take the oil cap off for some reason before you check the oil level with the dipstick. Then once you see the level is fine, insert the dipstick, shut the hood, and be on your way. Only to be greeted with a large volume of white smoke shortly down the road and an engine bay covered in oil..

Why in the world I took the oil cap off I do not know. My head was already scrambled from the work day.. ouich

Luckily, I had scrubbing bubbles in the trunk from my recent engine bay cleaning so after an initial wipe down I applied and hosed it down and wiped her down again. What a mess on top of an already stressful day.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Did the same thing with an M20 motor in an E30 once. Took days to burn all the oil completely off the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Where did you put the oil cap? I did the same thing except I dropped my oil cap down the engine bay and I was about 100 miles from home with the family on a 100+ degree summer day. Had been driving the car for a few hours so it was nice and toasty...

That was a good day.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I once finger tightened the oil filter cap onto the housing... little voice said "finish it now"... anther voice said "fill it with oil first"

You know what happened....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Attachments

Reactions: Seisup

·
Registered
351 Posts
I feel your pain esp after a long stressful day.

My story: Changing the oil. Thought I was finished. Decided to turn the engine to let it run before checking the oil level one last time...hmmmmmm...why does the engine sound different than usual - like I can hear the timing chain rattling more louder? Shut the engine down, walk over and lo and behold oil all over the inside of the hood and to the sides of the engine. Lucky I did not take her out...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I feel your pain esp after a long stressful day.

My story: Changing the oil. Thought I was finished. Decided to turn the engine to let it run before checking the oil level one last time...hmmmmmm...why does the engine sound different than usual - like I can hear the timing chain rattling more louder? Shut the engine down, walk over and lo and behold oil all over the inside of the hood and to the sides of the engine. Lucky I did not take her out...
I've done exactly that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
How many of us have ever started to fill the engine with fresh oil only to realize you hadn't put the drain plug back into the pan. Go ahead, fess up!

At least when I did that the drain pan was still in place. And it wasn't my M5, either (thank goodness).

And now I have an oil extractor so I never even take the drain plug out, so I can't forget to put it back.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yeah, I left the cap off on teh motorcycle once. Nice full leg oil spray.

·
Registered
524 Posts
OK good thread...........

I had a XR4x4 Sierra. I was 18 so some time ago now. Used to put Castrol RS in cost about £30 for 4L at the time. Completed the oil change, spent forever getting the level right, cleaned the engine a bit and gave myself a whole hearted pat on the back, good job son............turned the engine on and thought what the heck is that splashing noise, shut it down and found I forgot to put the new filter on........what a dik........was nearly in tears mopping up £30's worth of brand new oil only to have to go back to the shop and buy another £30's worth...........your not alone..............

Mike

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
And this is why I never check my oil.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Similar thing happened to me last night, I checked the oil level on Sunday, and hadn't driven the M5 since.

Crusing down the motorway last night, after about 30 miles of gentle cruising I started to notice smoke coming from the rear of the M5, pulled over, opened the engine bay to be greeted with oil all down the left hand side of the engine bay.

Lost about 3l of TWS either by incorrectly fitting the oil cap, or oil cap seal leaking, I just feel thankful I had 4l of TWS in the boot to resolve the problem there and then.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Been there, done that. What a colossal mess to clean up, too.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Okay, since everyone is fessing up to screwing up...I'll jump in too. Checked the oil one weekend, added oil, forgot to tighten the oil cap down securely and the same thing happened to me on a Monday morning on the way to work. Let just say, cleaning the engine bay in a suit and tie is not something I want to do again.

///M

1 - 20 of 31 Posts