BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got 275/35s on 18x9.5 wheels on all 4 corners. (Stock rears up front with 3mm spacers.) Just runing a set of matched dunnies with 40% or so on them for the summer. Prolly do PS2s by the rainy season

Car feels very different. Much 'surer'. I haven't taken it to the limit, but the understeer is definitely gone. Used to be you would just feel the front end plowing away from you- no more. I suspect the feeling at the limit will be a challenge...

Seems to demand more attention.

Should be fun.

A

PS Also had it aligned- NOT by a BMW shop. Excellent job, let me hang out and watch- discuss numbers- check out stuff. Found oil on the rear diff that somehow was missed on the inspection I just last week...

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Congrats, man. I really like the way it dialed out the plow, too. It feels like you took 300 lbs off the front end. If you have an adjustable rear bar, you might consider setting it softer, so that you can work the front tires harder (and avoid running off into the weeds backa$$wards). I have my Dinan bar set on the softest setting, which seems just about right for the street with 4x275s. :cheers:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You bring up an interesting symptom...

the suspension mod bug might have struck. All of a sudden I'm think coilovers, camber plates and sway bars.

:)

For now I get to play with tire pressures to see what the new pressures need to be...

A

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
where did you got the spacsers....man

are you sure they are safe....

goodluke

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
ard said:
You bring up an interesting symptom...

the suspension mod bug might have struck. All of a sudden I'm think coilovers, camber plates and sway bars.

:)

For now I get to play with tire pressures to see what the new pressures need to be...

A
Ard,
Excellent! Just what I was hoping to hear :1:

Now that I'm back in town, I'll have to contact boonie and go down to get my rear wheels! I've already got the spacers, and I bought the Dinan Camber Plates from Bob, so I'm ready to go...well, except that a few members are trying to convince me to add coilovers when I put in the camber plates (spending other peoples money :hihi: )

Let me know what it's like when pushed :byebye:

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
Glad you like the set up. I ran it like that for quite a while (and still do for my track set up, with 265 R compound tires). The only downside is the added weight, the car really feels lighter and more responsive with a light weight wheel, like the dinan set up. As for suspension, depending on your wants and needs, conservative is good. I was really quite happy for a while with stock suspension and a dinan rear bar (i had it set at the middle hole, but i like the rear end to help steer). The step up to their stage 3 has really been plenty for me.
Mike

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
mottati said:
Glad you like the set up. I ran it like that for quite a while (and still do for my track set up, with 265 R compound tires). The only downside is the added weight, the car really feels lighter and more responsive with a light weight wheel, like the dinan set up. As for suspension, depending on your wants and needs, conservative is good. I was really quite happy for a while with stock suspension and a dinan rear bar (i had it set at the middle hole, but i like the rear end to help steer). The step up to their stage 3 has really been plenty for me.
Mike
The stage 3 seems to be plenty for me on the street also, so I am saving the 9.5's in front for track duty only. I will have to double check to see what setting the rear bar is on.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The only thing keeping me from adding camber plates is the added ride height, as I want to keep the stock springs. I may do this anyway, but not until I go to Konis at the same time. My theory of conservation of labor.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
Need4Spd said:
The only thing keeping me from adding camber plates is the added ride height, as I want to keep the stock springs. I may do this anyway, but not until I go to Konis at the same time. My theory of conservation of labor.
Are the ground control camber plates for the oe struts out yet? I believe they replace the oe strut mount, so you would not gain ride height...

I haven't forgotten the 10/60 sticker either, just haven't gotten to the dealer!
Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but I prefer the 245/275s for the street. The 275s want to follow every rut and groove when used in the front, and to me the steering feels a little less precise, and a bit more sluggish. Yes, there's potentially more grip at the ragged edge, but the street driving/commuting I do with the car doesn't let me go there.

·
Registered
463 Posts
mottati said:
Are the ground control camber plates for the oe struts out yet?
I think someone posted about having them a few weeks ago :confused2

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
A,

I have to thank you for helping/ walking me thru the process... So far my first impressions car is much more beefy and after driving it today was the steering feel is much much better, brake feel is the same (even with increase weight on the front) and also to Luke from Tire Rack for making the process of ordering the wheel spacers and bolts (with black caps) easy....would recommend this setup to anyone... pics coming up

Btw thanks Dan for the tires fits like a glove:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey Laidback,

Congrats! Where did you find the pair of rear wheels for the front - on this board? It seems the only other option is to pay $550 + shipping for new - YIKES.

Look forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
JP 99300 said:
Hey Laidback,

Congrats! Where did you find the pair of rear wheels for the front - on this board? It seems the only other option is to pay $550 + shipping for new - YIKES.

Thanks:) I have patiently waited and waited... i had to buy 3 rears to make it worse (as i cracked the other last Jan.) ebay and from the boards...didn't realize how much of an improvement it'll make on the car...will post pics asap:cheers:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Congrats, man. I really like the way it dialed out the plow, too. It feels like you took 300 lbs off the front end. If you have an adjustable rear bar, you might consider setting it softer, so that you can work the front tires harder (and avoid running off into the weeds backa$$wards). I have my Dinan bar set on the softest setting, which seems just about right for the street with 4x275s. :cheers:
Mike
Does anyone run square setup with Dinan RSB on full firm? I know theoretically it'll fishtail more easily, but what's the point of going Dinan if you run it on soft???

Just my 2 cents, but I prefer the 245/275s for the street. The 275s want to follow every rut and groove when used in the front, and to me the steering feels a little less precise, and a bit more sluggish. Yes, there's potentially more grip at the ragged edge, but the street driving/commuting I do with the car doesn't let me go there.
Was proper spacers used? I keep getting different answers on whether square setup causes tramling, is it just NY streets are that bad?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hey Laidback,

$550? I can tell this is an old post lol. The dealer said he was giving me a deal at $699 a wheel with my BMWCCA discount. 4 squaring the tires is one of the best mods you can make in my opinion, but it does make the Beast tend to follow the imperfections in the road more. I also like the fact that one spare tire fits all - even if it does take up 70% of the trunk.

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
Does anyone run square setup with Dinan RSB on full firm? I know theoretically it'll fishtail more easily, but what's the point of going Dinan if you run it on soft???
Too much of a good thing.

The idea of a square setup and/or a rear bar is get better balance. Just like you can have much rear grip compared to the front grip (understeer), you can also have too much front grip compared to rear grip (oversteer). Most people like a car with a touch of understeer that can be adjusted through throttle induced oversteer. A touch of oversteer you can control with the throttle helps rotate the car in corners. Helpful on the track, not sure it is desirable on the street.

Understeer is safer for the street, most manufacturers dial in too much in the name of safety. The rears on the front dials out a whole bunch of that safety net. IMHO the rear bar is for fine tuning.

Now, if you want to try the rear bar at full firm, report back. I am willing to bet that it will feel much like driving a mid 80 Porsche 911 turbo. It will hit all of the sudden and in a big way. In handling terms, you will not get any warning of breakaway, the car will just snap around.

I might try the bar in the middle position for the track, or if you like your car on the loose side and have quick hands to catch on very spirited street driving. As one of my old racing buddies often reminds me, the middle of a turn is a bad time to find out you have run out of talent!

Was proper spacers used? I keep getting different answers on whether square setup causes tramling, is it just NY streets are that bad?
I have never really noticed it on mine. I use 3mm spacers because it puts the center of the wheel in the same place as the narrower fronts. A good alignment with a lot of positive caster and minimum toe in should help tramlining.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Like Jerry, I do not notice any tramlining or pulling on either of my cars that have rears in front and both are very pleasurable to drive. I have driven through the Bronx and other boroughs, over metal deck bridges (there was ONE bridge that WAS an issue), horribly grooved pavement, etc. with zero issues. It clearly does occur on some cars but I think it has more to do with alignment and suspension components than simply the use of wider wheels which likely just exacerbate an issue that the particular car already had. I don't know what other variable(s) could explain it. MINIMUM toe! THAT is the difference I am sure. You can't just say "align to spec" because the spec is so big. I say 0 - 0.1 TOTAL toe on both front and rear.

I also use a 3mm spacer because it maintains the same scrub radius as the OEM wheels. Right now I have the Dinan bar in the middle position and like how the car feels on the street.

EDIT:

any pictures with the 275's fitted?
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...-driving-perfection.html?highlight=perfection

Link to my thread with my alignment specs that seem to work and I believe are worth trying. A good place to start at least. Some pictures are at the end.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts