BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am having some weird rubbing issues in the rear. My car is completely stock running stock tire sizes. :confused2:grrrr:

I was recently driving and sped up right before a small dip in the road. While taking it I heard a loud cringing noise from the rear, the tires rubbed against the body.

Later today I checked the rear wheels and saw what was happening. How does this happen? Does anyone else have this issue? I remember this happening actually earlier once or twice I heard the sound but it was never that bad. Then I got AC Schnitzer Type 3 19" in rims and never had a problem with those. I put these back on for the winter time.

Please refer to the pics. (The fender also bent outwards, you can tell from the pictures, it was never like this before.)

I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Uh, get your car up in the air and have a qualified BMW mechanic inspect the suspension.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You just need to roll the rear fenders better and all the way.
Not all tires are the same even if its the same size, the tire might be too tall even though its a 35 profile, the car sits relatively low in the rear stock, the stock suspension is pretty soft, now add in some spirited driving and you can chew up the tires a little on the rear fender.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention that it was both sides equally. Also, I do not seem to find any issues with the suspension (driving wise).

Is anyone else having this issue with stock setups? The tires btw are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
I find it odd that with a stock setup things like this could happen. and yes, this did happen during some spirited driving upon which I got pretty scared and slowed down quick lol

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Forgive me dude but on that last pic they look suspiciously like a 295 wide tyre.

If thats the case then its almost certainly the reason mate.

Stock size rear is 275/35 R18

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No they are 100% 275 35 18 ! I got a full new set in Costco when I just got the car and double checked a bunch of times.

And Mercedes version? They have separate versions of same kind/same size tires that are manufacturer specific?!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
this picture:

makes the rear wheel look extraordinarily close to the fender, more so than you see with an undamaged stock car. i'm not sure if that is simply an optical illusion,or if something is off.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
honestly, they look like un-rolled, stock non-m5 fenders to me.

EDIT: on the OP's car.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am also running stock tire sizes on stock rims and have this problem.

Only when spirited driving, or when there is people in my back seat. One of my rear fenders has also been pulled out JUST like yours in the picture. And when it was pulled out it started cutting into my tire JUST like yours pictured. I had to take a rubber mallet and flatten it back out. I talked to my dad ( A certified BMW technician) about the problem because I was concerned my rear shocks were blown. He said that my shocks are fine and if anything was wrong with them I would feel it ( The car drives fine, and the suspension feels great. )

So I don't really know man? Maybe it's normal? :confused:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I have had no rubbing issues with either of my two setups and both of which were oversized wheel and tire combinations. Judging by a few of your pictures, it definately looks like somethings wrong, your wheel looks way to close, unless its an illusion because of the angle you took the picture of. Your fenders also dont look like they're the oem m5, as far as i know they come almost completely rolled from the factory.

Edit-in the rear axle i should state.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I remember seeing this on a completely stock looking M5 I checked out while I was shopping for mine. The rear fenders had evidence of tire contact and the rear tires were chewed up along the outsides.

There must be something that causes this..

·
Registered
884 Posts
The gap to the mudflap seems wide and the front gap seems too tight, post some straight on pics like the one from two years ago. Also measure the gaps at a particular point (like from the seam of the rear bumper and quarter panel to tire) and have some board members take some measurements obviously make sure its the same tire size. Even tires do vary the gaps with stock sizes should be close.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Once you have pulled down that front part of the rear lip that isn't factory rolled, you will continue to now have rear contact. You need to get a fender roller and properly roll that front portion back up. Don't drive the car much without fixing it as you will continue to chew up your tires with that lip sticking down/out like that.

The factory rear lip roll ends on that front edge as you can see by inspection. If they had continued the roll about 3 more linear inches along the lip, it would have been perfect, but where you have the issue is common on lowered cars with wider than stock rear tires/wheels/etc.

Many years back, I believe there was a TSB released to dealers about rear lip rolling, but the details escape me now.

Reactions: olegd88

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I understand what you mean, and all of this would seem normal to me if it wasn't stock parts.

I remember when I got the car I heard a rubbing sound several times however it wasn't that loud and every time I went to the back to check it there was nothing wrong. Those parts that are bent out like that now were fine. After some time I put on AC Schnitzer Type 3 19" wheels with Dunlop Summer Tires (forgot the model) and it never happened with them. Tire size was 275/30/19. Now with these back on this is what happened.

This also happened with only me in the car (few things in the trunk, nothing heavy), so I imagine with a full car it could be a lot worse.

I just looked at Fender Rollers and they seem to be expensive and I am hesitant to do a job like this myself. At the same time, I also do not trust any body shops in the area. I wonder how many other people experience these problems.

·
Registered
328 Posts
More mystery

Just to add to the confusion - I recently bought a set of those same tires from a Board member. Evidence of tire rub, same as in your pics. But on my car, no problems. Even with 4 adults, full trunk and roof rack full of luggage.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have had this prob a lot, I've had Pirelli's (MO) on when I got it, they rubbed, now I have Toyo R888's, same thing. I have rolled them, although not with a fender roller or similar, to no avail. I need to get the arch done anyway due to rust where the lip has been pulled down previous to me owning it, so it is a common problem I think, Oleg, is yours a pre-facelift, I can't see it making a differnce but mine is, just wondering if there's a pattern?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts