BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone remined me what's involved in fitting a pair of rear wheels to the front of my E39 M5. I read that it improved turn in, and reduces front understeer.

I seem to remember reading that I need to fit a spacer, but obviously want to keep this to the minimum. Car has standard brakes and suspension....

I'm in the UK, so if someone knows where to get hold of a quality spacer that would be great, or might have to get one from the US.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Tons of posts on this that a search should pull up. Need 3mm spacers (from Luke at Tirerack) and longer wheel bolts (also available from Tirerack). Otherwise, they should install flawlessly.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Yep. Roundel just gave you all the info you need.

I did this mod in the fall, love it. Do it, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Spacers are available all over the world! H&K,. beastpower, etc, etc.

3mm spacer, 5mm longer bolts are fine (the extra 2mm on the bolt isn't an issue)

A

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tks Ard.....appreciate that info. Just wanted to make sure I knew where to go to get a "quality" spacer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quite interested in this myself actually but have literally just bought a fresh set of PS2's yesterday so will wait till they have worn out i guess, but the ring trip next week should accelerate that nicely.

Not fancy coming with us Jim? I know of a cheap crossing and room on offer due to a dropout... ;).

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Tks Ard.....appreciate that info. Just wanted to make sure I knew where to go to get a "quality" spacer.
The term "spacer" freaks some people out... once you actually LOOK at a **3** millimeter spacer, you'll realize how little is really there. Bascially the only think that they can screw up is making it the wrong thickness or drastically thick and thin. Even if the holes are in the wrong position, as long as the bolts go through it should be fine. That said, you should have no problem sourcing them over there... and it's "H&R" ... H&K is for different hardware. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Jim, please post some pics when you are done and of course, a full write-up...Thanks!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Hey Jim, please post some pics when you are done and of course, a full write-up...Thanks!
?

There are probably no less than a DOZEN reports of rears on the fronts, and I know that I've posted pictures as well.

Search be your saviour....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stu : Would love to go to the ring, but no chance of taking time off from work at the moment........It'll have to be on of the UK Circuits, or later in the year for the ring.

Good Luck, and keep it on the black stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts