BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a low howling noise at about 20 mph that seems to be getting progressively worse. The sound does change slightly in pitch as the car is turned left to right at 20 mph. My mechanic checked it out and found a very slight amount of play in the LR wheel so he suspects it's a bad wheel bearing.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem? Any suggestions as to what I should look for other than the wheel bearing? The car has about 35k miles.

Thank you!
Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the same play in my rear of my 540i 6-spd, but there isn't any noise present. I do not know if the play in the rear is normal. My best guess is to check with BMW.

·
10,445 Posts
How are your rear tires looking Bob? I had some worn rear tires that sounded like bad bearings at about the same speed.
Mike

·
Registered
635 Posts
Check the for sale section and member ALEV8 is selling wheel bearings.

Regards,

Marion

·
Registered
590 Posts
Bob Uenaka said:
I am hearing a low howling noise at about 20 mph that seems to be getting progressively worse. The sound does change slightly in pitch as the car is turned left to right at 20 mph. My mechanic checked it out and found a very slight amount of play in the LR wheel so he suspects it's a bad wheel bearing.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem? Any suggestions as to what I should look for other than the wheel bearing? The car has about 35k miles.

Thank you!
Bob
Sometimes you might have a small amount of play in the bearings and that doesn't necessarily mean the bearing is bad. A little trick to separate tire noise (like mottati mentioned) from bearing noise is to pump up the tires to about 50 psi and see if the noise changes. If it does then the tires are probably making the noise.

Is the noise in the front or the rear?

Joe

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I just replaced my rear tires with Toyo T1-S in size 285/35-18. These are the same tires that I've been on the last 10k miles. Since the last pair only lasted 10k miles and I won't be tracking this car any more, I had the rear camber adjusted from -2.8 to -1.8 degrees. The last pair of Toyos were notably quiet. I did try adjusting the air pressure, but only by 5 lbs and it didn't make any difference. I "think" the sound is coming from the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts