BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear view mirror fell off as a result of some idiot not using enough bonding agent. No damage as it is the light sensitive version and the bundle of wires attached meant it didn't travel far. Anyone know the best way to re-stick it. The weight of it means I will need some quite powerful adhesive, epoxy resin maybe. Double sided tape will be useless and even then it will bounce.

By the way does the metal plate (with the three indents that bonds to the windcreen) unscrew off???

If I have to I will take it to a autowindscreen place.

Regards

m5 powered

·
Registered
392 Posts
hi there

I believe that loctite do a special glass adhesive that can be found at either decent harware stores, or at motor factor shop, or posibly even halfords, its a 2 component glue, if I remember correctly one part is a super glue gel type with an activator or accelerator.

Make sure the windscreen is clean and that there are no previous glue remains on the screen, clean with solvent or alcohol and apply glue as per the intructions for the product purchased.

* note: please ensure that you mount the metal plate in the correct position otherwise you will not be able to mount the rear view mirror which twists on on the metal button. ensure the glue is fully cured before refiting and if ness lube slightly to make it easier to refit.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Joe Rubido

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jr Turbo

Thanks for the help. Did use the loctite adehsive in the end. The two application process is now down to one and set hard in 15 minutes. The glue is also the used for mounting phone aerials. For future reference the nut which bonds to the windscreen is roughly a triangle. Make sure the bottom of this triangle is pointing and is square with the roof lining. If the nut is still attached to the mirror as in my case, use an adjustable spanner to unlock it counter clockwise.

Regards

m5 powered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cleaning the area to reapply the button is simple if you are just scraping old glue off the glass with a razor blade..... but, with the black coating around the whole rain sensing/RVMirror area, what is the best way to remove old glue without damaging and stripping the black material from that area?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts