BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello,
anyone faced a problem with their rear view mirror?? mine has a big spot in one place and everywhere else is fine dimmed a little bit.

what is going on with the mirror?? is it time to change it? or there is something wrong?

cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
A very common and well known issue in our cars. The auto-dimming (also known as photo-chromatic) function of our mirrors (side and rear) operate through the use of a film filled with some liquid with mercury in it. Replacement "oval" M5 mirrors cost over $500 from BMW. However, a company called Sybesma (sp?) will take your mirror and fix it (with a new electronically-dimming mirror) for around $100. I can personally vouch for Sybesma's service. Some people like to buy the standard rectangular 5 series mirror. All modern BMWs use the same mirror mount, so you can use whatever you would like to use.

Be sure to try a search next time. Check out my comment in this thread here for more details on replacements: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...94479-large-bubble-mirror-15.html#post1920684

Be sure to be careful when removing the mirror not to crack the windshield!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A very common and well known issue in our cars. The auto-dimming (also known as photo-chromatic) function of our mirrors (side and rear) operate through the use of a film filled with some liquid with mercury in it. Replacement "oval" M5 mirrors cost over $500 from BMW. However, a company called Sybesma (sp?) will take your mirror and fix it (with a new electronically-dimming mirror) for around $100. I can personally vouch for Sybesma's service. Some people like to buy the standard rectangular 5 series mirror. All modern BMWs use the same mirror mount, so you can use whatever you would like to use.

Be sure to try a search next time. Check out my comment in this thread here for more details on replacements: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...94479-large-bubble-mirror-15.html#post1920684

Be sure to be careful when removing the mirror not to crack the windshield!
Thanks dan,
i have been checking the board and came across an email [email protected], where they say they will replace it for free!!! as it is a defective issue. is that true?

cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
They used to many years ago. but not anymore. magnadon started pointing people to Sybesma a few years back I believe. Sybesma is the best option if you want the OEM Oval mirror for E39 M5. If you want a standard 5 series mirror then there are other routes. No more free ones though, unfortunately.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I personally wouldn't want to put anything other than the oval mirror in mine, but it's all a matter of personal choice. To me it's like putting a 4-spoke steering wheel in :eek:h:

Also, a regular hardwired V1 right next to the mirror doesn't bother me at all, so I don't quite see the utility in it (you need to have the V1 up by the mirror anyways for it to sense the front and rear). I would think the mirror with digital compass and homelink (if you don't have it) would be more utilitarian.

Again, all personal preference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts