BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear view mirror has recently started to lose it's auto dimming capability. The centre section of the mirror still dims but only a circular portion, maybe 4 inches across. The outside edges just do not dim any more. Any one else had this problem?

·
Registered
571 Posts
It's strange you should mention this. I just noticed this started happening about a month ago. Mine is not dimming in the extreme driver's side. Not too big of a deal...yet. I can live with it for now.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Have seen that before...but more often on the wing mirrors.Also the outer edges turn sort of yellowish when that happens

·
1,939 Posts
Yes, mine does a similar sort of thing, and when it's very cold the outer edges are a slightly different colour too.

I reckon it's a cold thing, because it's never a problem in the summer. Probably because the tinting pixies inside the mirror housing can't work as fast wearing gloves.

Or maybe our mirrors are just f*cked.

Hope that helps.

YG

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Exactly the same issue...

·
Registered
70 Posts

This is so much blurrier when you're driving it, hence the need to replace it. I don't really need/want the auto dimmer function already (too expensive for what I use it for which is usually morning drives) any idea where I could get replacement mirrors (mirrors only)

@Richard et al,

is this what you see as well on your end?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't really tell from the pictures if it's like mine or not. I tried taking pictures but it was impossible to see the problem on them.

With mine the centre section is dimmed correctly, maybe not quite as much as it should be, but the outside edges were not dimmed at all for about 2 inches from either end. It's just enough to be really annoying when a car is following close behind, one eye gets the dimmed view and the other the undimmed view! It would be better if it did not dim at all.

Replacement mirror is on it's way, I'll change it later today if all goes to plan.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think i have a related but not identical issue.

My rear view doesn't appear to dim at all, but my side mirrors do appear to, no noticable rings or sections of dimming/not dimming on the mirror.

Matt

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mirror now replaced, very easy job.

As far as I can tell in the daylight, the new mirror appears to dim significantly more then the centre section of the old mirror. I can only assume that it's been on its way out for a while.

There was no shadow, rings, bubbles or blurry sections on my old mirror, it just does not dim correctly.

Here's a picture of the reflection the nice anaglypta paper on my study ceiling! The light variation is because the light is in the middle of the room, to the left in the photo.

And a 'photoshopped' version of what it looked like when dimmed.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
List price is £318.30 plus VAT at 17.5% = £374.00.

I got a discount of 10% to £286.47 plus VAT at 17.5% = £336.60, that's about $525 at current exchange rates.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Your replacement may very well fail as well but probably in years to come depending on the temperatures it is exposed to. You would've been better off to get a remanufactured mirror from Sybesmas as I did for just around $100 US with fast turn around time. They use a better dimming technology that is far less prone if at all prone to failure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts