BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it was always difficult to get hold of the tyres for the E36 (B3/B6/B8) but I didn't realise that Michelin doesn't have the tyre in their program anymore - at least not as 265/35x17.

Is there an official statement from Alpina / Michelin which tyre to use now ?

Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alpinab846 said:
i have got two more....
Hi Peter

... but what about in the long term? Will we have to hope for some tyre dealer to have some old tyres in stock?

Cheers, Alex

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well-I think Michelin changed from The Michelin Sport to the Sport 2...thats the Problem. But every Alpina E 36 has had these tyres-and Michelin was the only manufacturer in this size.

Do you need the tyres right now?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alpinab846 said:
Well-I think Michelin changed from The Michelin Sport to the Sport 2...thats the Problem. But every Alpina E 36 has had these tyres-and Michelin was the only manufacturer in this size.

Do you need the tyres right now?
I'll have a look tomorrow to see how they are.

Cheers, Alex

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tinker said:
Just had a check on www.michelin.fr and the size is available ...
Hi Tinker,

that's interesting. The German site (www.michelin.de) didn't have that size available anymore. Both sites also show the attached list of available dimensions for the Michelin Pilot Sport which is missing the relevant size for the rear axle.

I just received an answer from Alpina. They tell me I could also use the following dimensions :
Front: 225/45 ZR17
Rear: 245/40 ZR17

Does anyone run these dimensions on a B8? How will the car handle with these tyres? The rear tyres will have a circumference which is approx. 3 cm bigger than the original dimension. I've taken of 4% from the circumference since it seems to be common practise (see also www.m-forum.com) when calculating the speed.

265/35 - 18: 1.86 m
245/40 - 17: 1.89 m
255/35 - 18: 1.92 m
265/35 - 18: 1.94 m (not sure, if this would fit)

Mill, if I remember correctly, you run yours on 255/35 - 18. They are even bigger than the 245/40 but you also have the shorter rear-axle (2.93 vs. 2.79) which slightly over-compensates for the bigger tyres.

If my math isn't all wrong, this would be the speeds at 6000 RPM in sixth gear (the gear ratio is 1:0.828 I belief)

Tyres 2,79 2,93 3,15

265/35 - 17 290,1 276,3 257,0
245/40 - 17 295,1 281,0 261,3
255/35 - 18 298,8 284,5 264,6
265/35 - 18 302,1 287,6 267,5

Are most of you still running the stock size or have some of you switched to other dimensions ?

Thanks, Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
so we have to go to the TÜV....grrrrrrr

The 245/40/17 will be much cheaper than the 265/35 an we will get much better tyres than the Michelins. Thats the positive effect. On the other hand the car will have a slightly longer "übersetzung"...the optic of the rear tires is higher and you need a set of new front tires as well.....

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
If I remember correctly the stock B8 rear wheel is 9" wide. Running a 245/40 17 on it will look VERY odd too say the least, just look at the rear wheel on an M-roadster/coupe to see what I mean.... As far as I know Michelin produces batches of obsolete tires to order, and I can't imagine Alpina giving the aforementioned tire-advice for the 9" wheel. Good luck, and if I stumble across any 265/35 I'll let you all know!!

alpinab846 said:

The 245/40/17 will be much cheaper than the 265/35 an we will get much better tyres than the Michelins. Thats the positive effect. On the other hand the car will have a slightly longer "übersetzung"...the optic of the rear tires is higher and you need a set of new front tires as well.....

·
Registered
704 Posts
The 265x35 17 is the tyre size used on the Bi-Turbo with 235x45 17 on the front. I suspect the wheels for the B8 and Bi-turbo are same? (Anyone confirm this?).

Micheldever always supply my tyres and I'm using the Goodyear F1's on the car to good effect - great in the wet but perhaps not the best in the dry. They are also much cheaper than Michelins. 4 tyres including fit and balance were about £450.

I've also suffered 2 rear punctures on the motorway without rim damage, although the tyres were trashed!

Give Micheldever a call and see if they can source the Michelins - you never know your luck!

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I am totally taken by surprise by the apparent fact that Michelin does not offer the 265/35-17 tire anymore grrrrrrr

This is hopefully not true!

I think an Automobile manufacturer in Germany is supposed by law to guarantee a supply of spareparts for 10 years after the last model was sold. Wouldn't this include tires???

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
B8 Guru said:
I am totally taken by surprise by the apparent fact that Michelin does not offer the 265/35-17 tire anymore grrrrrrr

This is hopefully not true!

I think an Automobile manufacturer in Germany is supposed by law to guarantee a supply of spareparts for 10 years after the last model was sold. Wouldn't this include tires???
Micheal,

I hope you can prove that I'm wrong. But I also hope they didn't just produce a thousand tyres and leave them on stock. Tyres don't exactly get better with age like good wine. With the relative low milage I have they don't get changed often enough and if they are already 5 years old by the time I buy them ....

Cheers, Alex

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alpinab846 said:

Alpina is sending me documentation to use the 245/40 without TÜV. Lets see what rim-size they have.

For myself, if the information is correct and Michelin stopped producing the tyres, I might think of an expensive path forward: buy 18" Alpina rims, fit the 235s in the front and 255s in the rear. Switch the rear axle from 2.79 to 2.93 (and have a limited slip diff fitted while I'm at it).

Looking at exceleration and top speed the combination should be close to original. The weight is probably slightly higher.

Any thoughts on that ?

Cheers, Alex

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Alex, you are 100% right on tire aging - rubber gets hard over time. I have always gotten my local tire supplier in Flensburg to get me tires that were a maximum of 6 months old - sometimes they had to order them from Michelin France. For the B8 it has never before been a problem for me to find the tires and I am quite frankly disgusted if what I am reading here really is true and we cannot get these tires anymore...

I have just sent emails out to Alpina and Michelin with a demand for an explanation. If the 265/35ZR17 really is not available anymore I would like to know 2 things:

1. Will a tire in the size of 265/35ZR17 ever be produced again? If so, when?

2. Will 18 inch rims with 265/35ZR18 for the rears fit on the B8?

My convertible has fresh rubber (hooray) but my Touring needs new rear tires :crying:

·
Registered
299 Posts
The rims fitting are the 8*18/8.5*18 rims from the early E46 with 225/40 and 255/40 18.....

The "gutachten" for the 245/40/17 with 225/45/17 in front is already here....

1 - 20 of 59 Posts