BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bridgestone rears are down to the wearbar after 10k miles. How does this compare with others?

FWIW I'm going to replace them with Goodyeare GSD3s to match the new fronts which I like better than the S03s I had on before.

·
Registered
687 Posts
M5e3438 said:
My Bridgestone rears are down to the wearbar after 10k miles. How does this compare with others?
I made 40k km on my last set of streettyres, the fronts are completely worn down, and the rears have 2-3mm left.
I've replaced them with Dunlop D01J (soft compund version), and they are about half way gone after ~13k km.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Frank,

I had Bridgestone S02s put on my M5 when I first got it, and they only lasted 10k miles, but the grip was amazing. Apparently they are a soft compound which explains both the wear and grip levels.
I replaced them with F1 GSD3s which have been on for about 8k miles now, and are probably only half worn if that. The grip isn't as good as the S02s, but they're still very good, especially considering the reasonable price.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
My Pirelli P-Zero Symettrico 265/40/17 (I`m on my 2nd set, great tyres!) last around 12,000 miles but that did include a stint at Rockingham!!
They wear perfectly across the tread too :)

I drive hard, they`d last longer if I tried.

Ivan.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
12k miles so far on my Bridgestone S-03 backs (245/40-18). The treadwear indicators are all level (approx 1mm tread)

Roundabouts and open second-gear junctions are frequently a sideways affair.

This includes motorway and plenty of a-road work, but also 20 laps of the Ring (275 miles) and one sprint day at Curborough.

Pretty good, I reckon. They're £300 a pair, and the level of grip is very good, especially in the wet.

They are also very stable indeed at 170mph (gps) and, compared to the GSD3s I had before, they're more communicative.

But, the GSD3s were quieter, and lasted longer.

At the moment, I'll be choosing another pair of S03s. Especially as they match the fronts.

I'd be interested to try Pilot Sports sometime too.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Anywhere from 500 miles to 15,000 miles depending on how I drive it and how many track days I do!

Don't know how the current ContiSport II and Pilot Sport 2 combo will last though?

However, I've never really liked directional tyres as you can't swap them to the other side of the car to even the wear out.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Donati said:
Maybe a stupid question, but why would you get more wear one one side?
Because on track days you always wear the outside shoulders first - even though the rest of the tyre could be 95% okay!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
Because on track days you always wear the outside shoulders first - even though the rest of the tyre could be 95% okay!
Do you make your trackdays on ovals? :)

My question was not why you get more wear on the inside or outside of the tyre.. but why you get more wear on one side of the car, than on the other?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Brian M5 said:
Donati,

I do believe Mmm-Five means that he is getting wear on one side of the tyre not on one side of the car.
cherrsagai
:) that could be the case, but then why say that he does not like directional tyres, because then he cannot swap them to the other side of the car,to even out the wear..

Mmm-Five, explain yourself please :)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Donati said:
:) that could be the case, but then why say that he does not like directional tyres, because then he cannot swap them to the other side of the car,to even out the wear..

Mmm-Five, explain yourself please :)
Sorry about the delays in replying, but I am in and out of one long meeting all week

Most circuits in the UK are clockwise tracks and as such most of the cornering forces are on the left-hand side of the car for the majority of the time.

Thus the left-hand side of the tyre will wear quicker than the right, and the left-hand tyres will also wear faster than the right.

On an airfield day I can completely wear out the left-hand shoulders of all 4 tyres in less than an hour's driving - by all rights I should throw these away, but if they are still above the legal threshold then I can swap the lefts and rights so that I get another hour's thrashing out of them.

Now, as directional tyres can only be fitted in one direction, if you wear out the left-hand side you cannot simply swap this wheel to the right to equal the wear over the two tyres as the tyre would be rotating in the wrong direction - you would have to remove the tyre instead, which is not really practical on a track day.

With asymmetric tyres you can just swap the left & right wheels so that the worn left-hand side of the tyre is now on the right-hand side of the wheel and thus lets the less worn side take some of the strain instead - eventually balancing the wear.

You see the same wear in towns where they have a lot of roundabouts - although some of this uneven wear is due to bad geometry as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts