BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an issue with my tires rubbing in the back. I haven't done any lowering and I have done my alignment very recently. I have brand new PSS tires one which are 295.30.20. Any ideas without wasting brand new tires.

Thank you
Daniil

·
Registered
153 Posts
What size and offset are the rear wheels you're running?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
As Pyro asked, what size wheels and offset do you have on the rears? You have any spacers installed? You may need to go with some negative camber to clear the fenders. It won't impact tire wear very much since you'll get a similar contact patch. Mine are maxed out on camber in the rear and tires have still worn evenly.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My guess is that you're rubbing where many of us rub once we go with 20" wheels. I had the same issue, had my alignment done and added more negative camber to the rear (I think -2.0deg), but still had rubbing.

Found out where the rubbing came from and it's at the joint between the rear bumper and the rest of the chassis (see pictures). You can use painters tape and tape off the entire fender to figure out where the rubbing is coming from, but I'm pretty sure that's where it is at that joint. I then had a body shop shave down that area and no rubbing since.

I can take some pictures of my shaved down fender area and post in a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Here is a picture of my shaved fender.

Currently running PSS 285/30/20 in the rears with no rubbing. ImageUploadedByAG Free1401758146.969006.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I know is that I have Breyton GSTR-LM Rims...don't know the offsets. But I have the 295.30.20 in the back. And that's a good idea about the painter tape. And also I will go back to the alignment shop and get more negative camber plus they screwed up my EDC sensor.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure that I have to shave the rear fenders and get them rolled out even more than factory

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I have to shave the rear fenders and get them rolled out even more than factory
You can't roll them in anymore I don't think. Inspect your car to see if you can see where the rubbing is and if it's not clear, add the painter's tape to see where it's rubbing at.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The size and offset of your rims should be stamped into the backside of the wheel somewhere. Will probably be something like 20x10.5 +30...or something similar. The 20 is your wheel diameter, the next number is the width of the wheel and the number after the + is the wheel offset. If you're not lowered, you're probably rubbing on the INSIDE of the fender well, and probably more-so on the passenger side, since there's a bulge in the fender skirt where the fuel filler tube is.

I don't think you'll need to be worried about the outside of the tire rubbing the fender lip if you're not running lowering springs...but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I just had 2 stock sized rears delivered and I was wondering. These look huge! My son is enjoying them, though.
They are like 3/4 inch wider than the ps2 in the same size I was running. I was running 12mm spacers on stock wheels with ps2, but I cant even run 10mm spacers after switching to the pss.

·
Registered
512 Posts
They are like 3/4 inch wider than the ps2 in the same size I was running. I was running 12mm spacers on stock wheels with ps2, but I cant even run 10mm spacers after switching to the pss.
Really? I'm running 12mm spacers as well. Stock wheels and ride height. You're saying I'm going to rub if I run those spacers?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Really? I'm running 12mm spacers as well. Stock wheels and ride height. You're saying I'm going to rub if I run those spacers?
I am on H&R springs so it doesn't take much to compress to a point where it rubs. Also I had an alignment done to factory camber spec.

You might be fine at stock ride height, because it will take much more to compress to a point where it rubs. Also the more u compress the more camber it will be.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am on H&R springs so it doesn't take much to compress to a point where it rubs. Also I had an alignment done to factory camber spec.

You might be fine at stock ride height, because it will take much more to compress to a point where it rubs. Also the more u compress the more camber it will be.
Thanks man. We will see, I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts