BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my M5 for about 3 months, so all this is new to me. I was heading to the airport on Thursday night when I heard a strange sound coming from the outside. About 30 seconds later, the sign came up that my rear left tire was low. I pulle dto the side of the road to inspect the tire and realized that this tire was completely flat. I called the BMW emergency and they sent a tow truck to pick up the car.

Now, I was barely able to get on the plane and the next day my wife calls me telling me the dealership wants to charge $580 for the tire. They actually could not find the tire in the US, so they had to order the tire and it could take about a week. I believe it's a run flat tire, but they told her that these tires are not in stock being that they are so rare( for an m5). Does this sound right?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The M5 does not come with runflats (unless someone else put them on) and that sounds awefully expensive for a tire. Of course, you did not indicate what the exact brand/model of the tire so its tough to say. However, you need to ask some questions and learn what type of tire is needed. GL.

·
Registered
472 Posts
-Unless there is some US quirkiness the M5 was specifically specced and tested to not have run-flats - you may have had them on your car in error but would suggest you get them changed if thats the case - you may find you have a better car afterwards i hated RFs on my previous BMW's as they felt stiff and jarring on our roads.

-The tyre size is not that rare but it can take a day (for me in the UK) for suppliers to get them in - 5 days sounds excessive. BTW it should be Width-285/ Profile-35/Diameter-R19 - and the dealer hopefully is going for BMW (with a *) Z rated Michelin Pilot Sport 2s else there are many other brands out there (PS2s are my preference).

-The cost quoted sounds comparable to UK dealer costs or tyres but like here I would have expected you could find many other tyre dealers in the US and much cheaper- I cannot think of any time myself or anyone I know would have gone to a dealer for tyres - we have tyre shops on nearly every main street in the UK?

-Next time you break down you should have a mobility kit in the boot which is a tyre compressor and foam system that can fill the tyre up (unless your tyre is trashed) enough so you can get home and order new tyres online and just wait for them to be delivered and fitted without messing around with breakdown services and dealers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! They are micheline z rated pilot 2 if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
+1 on M5s NOT having run flats. I went through a similar situation where i had just left my garage, and after a few minutes i got a warning that my right rear tire was low. i pulled over and found a nail in the tire. (they ***** holes by my apt were doing construction by my apt garage and they didn't bother to pick up their debris - which is my suspicion).

I talked to BMW Assist for a tow truck and the lady from BMW NA speaking to me for the service was convinced that M5s had run flats. I told her THERE IS NO WAY. Sad that they don't know the specs of their own car. I don't blame her though. It all worked out in the end.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
It is amazing how crooked some dealers are AND don't know what they are talking about...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hrmmm. Question in reference to this post.

I bought the tire/rim protection plan that spans 5yrs for replacement..."no questions asked"..."we dont repair/plug...we replace". I also have the EasyCare tire protection plan (came with Total). So with all that being said, if I "happen" to run over 2 nails on both back tires and call BMW Road Side...i'm covered for 2 new tires correct regardless of tread correct? Just curious ;)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Try searching for your replacement tire price at tires.com. Be sure to add installation and shipping for a true price comparison.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
...the dealership wants to charge $580 for the tire. They actually could not find the tire in the US, so they had to order the tire and it could take about a week.
Tirerack has the BMW OEM version (star on the sidewall) PS2 285/35-19 in stock for $492
The non-OEM version is also in stock for $445
There are only minor differences between OEM and non-OEM version of the PS2, but do not mix them.

I am also in Northern California, and orders placed with Tirerack by noon will arrive the next day. When ordering from Tirerack: select UPS-Ground there is no need to pay for any of the faster options.

If the $580 includes dismount/mount/balance, the price seems reasonable.
I hate to defend dealer pricing, but I'm surprised the price is not much higher.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
At first I was dumbfounded for the cost of a single tire, but considering its a BMW OEM "Star" PS2, I'm not all that surprised.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At first I was dumbfounded for the cost of a single tire, but considering its a BMW OEM "Star" PS2, I'm not all that surprised.
I was just shocked to hear that the tire was almost $600. I was expecting around $350-400 range. Anyways, called the dealer this morning and he said that it seems that the US is having a shortage of these type of tires and it might take up to a week to get a hold of one. It is a Michelin Z rated Ps2 sport. The BMW explained it was the best tire they have for this type of car. I hope it is the best for a 500+ tire...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I was just shocked to hear that the tire was almost $600. I was expecting around $350-400 range. Anyways, called the dealer this morning and he said that it seems that the US is having a shortage of these type of tires and it might take up to a week to get a hold of one. It is a Michelin Z rated Ps2 sport. The BMW explained it was the best tire they have for this type of car. I hope it is the best for a 500+ tire...
Did you let them know (for future reference) that your car does not have run-flats nor does the M5 come from the factory with run-flats? :dunno: amazing, but not surprising, they didn't know this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts