BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether I can adjust the "unloaded" rear ride height by adjusting the lever that triggers the SLS?

Or does that only work when the car is heavily loaded (ie to bring it up to the "unloaded" height)?

I found an article on this site in "How To Articles"

http://bmwe34m5.com/faqs/

I have a nasty drive way and if I could get another centimetre of clearance it would save me from scraping the exhaust.

I have a standard '90 E34 M5, standard ride height.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you follow the setting proceedure and then adjust out of spec. Car will have a raised tail and camber will be adversely affected.

·
Registered
65 Posts
bremith said:
Does anyone know whether I can adjust the "unloaded" rear ride height by adjusting the lever that triggers the SLS?

Or does that only work when the car is heavily loaded (ie to bring it up to the "unloaded" height)?

I found an article on this site in "How To Articles"

http://bmwe34m5.com/faqs/

I have a nasty drive way and if I could get another centimetre of clearance it would save me from scraping the exhaust.

I have a standard '90 E34 M5, standard ride height.
You could adjust the ride height as you describe. I think its a bad idea. The springs are designed to carry the weight and the struts just make up the difference of passengers and luggage. If you ask them to carry the whole car they will start leaking shortly...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the warnings (thanks), but I tried this just to see what would happen

when I got the car on a hoist the adjuster was at the lowest point - seeing as this was too low, we put it at he highest!

popped it back down, started it, and it rose up - almost 2 inches higher

I know that's too high, but means I can drive in and out of the driveway at least for the short term - when I move I'll set it back to spec

suppose I'll find out what effect it has on the dampers, but fluid isn't exactly dripping out of them at the moment, and they are due for a rebuild anyway to fix slight 'weep'

biggest problem so far - my headlights are now way out of adjustment!

·
Registered
40 Posts
If dampers are edc adaptive, my understanding is that a slight weep is acceptable and not a reason for concern or replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts